Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Tips

fuadmyahya

Tool Tips

Word 2000 SR-1 on Windows ME.

I am unable to make tool tips stick. I enable them, and they show up. Once I close Word and reopen, they are gone again.

All talk about saving the Normal template is just that - talk. I it does not do th etrick.

Does anybody know what the trick is. I appreciate your advice.

Fuad M. Yahya

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tool Tips

When you say you enable tooltips, do you mean Tools/Customize... & then choosing the Options tab & checking "Show screentips on toolbars"? That's the setting, BUT you can change it in other office programs.

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Fuad,

I don't know the trick either. But another thing to try would be: open Normal.dot itself as a document, go to Options and change the setting, then save Normal.dot and close it.
    If that doesn't stick, I'm stuck!

Gary

nehmar

One other thing to try would be to search for other copies of Normal.dot on your hard drive. When Word doesn't find a copy of normal.dot it creates it's own. If this has been done then the copy you are working with may not be the one that it is pulling from, therefore your change won't stick.

One last thing is W2K uses what are called .pip files to store where and how the toolbars act. These files can get "corrupt". If you search your hard drive for word.pip and delete it, with Word closed of course, then re-open Word and make your toolbar change. When you exit Word it will create a new word.pip.

Hope one of these helps!! [img]/w3timages/icons/tonguea.gif[/img]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just one more thought -- you don't mention if you're working in a networked environment, but if you're on a Win2K network, your administrator can create policies which override your selections... The behavior would be as you say, you can only hold the affected options until you restart Word.
    Karen

fuadmyahya

I will have to try this when I get home this evening.

However, I got so curious about this possibility that I tried it out here on my office computer (NT4). I found two copies of Normal.dot, one in Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplate, and the other in WinNTProfilesUserNameApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates. Is this normal (no pun intended)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, on any networked or profile controled machine a copy of the Office settings are saved in the users folder. You will also see that a copy of the PST (Outlook) is there. This is the defaualt unless the IT folks have changed things. This is also where your Favorites, internet history, Internet temp files and etc are saved by default.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

fuadmyahya

Neither suggestion helped.

I searched for copies of Normal.dot, and I only found one.

I searched for word.pip, and I found two of the same. I deleted both, then tried opening Word. It asked for the Office 2000 CD. I inserted the CD, and Word opened. I customized the tool bar, then closed Word. When I re-opened, the problem was still there: No tooltips.

Any more suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Delete the following registry keys. When Word restarts, they should be recreated. You have to customize all your settings again.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordOpt ions

If you try this, be sure to close Word first & export the registry keys to a text file.

fuadmyahya

Hi Phil,

On these registry keys: Why Office 8.0? Why not Office 9.0, since I am running Office 2000? Why do I still have the old registry keys? Should I delete 8.0 altogether?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]. I'm sorry. Your're right. I copied that tip some time ago when someone had the problem in Word 97. Substitute 9.0 for 8.0. Be sure to back up the registry entries first. If it doesn't work, just browse to those files & import them back into the registry.

fuadmyahya

No joy.
    I have exported the registry keys, deleted them, opened Word, and customized the tool bars, making sure to check the tooltips box. The tool tips appeared, but once I closed Word and reopened, no tool tips. It is driving me nuts.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Phil Rabichow on 01/01/06 04:46.</FONT></P>Could there be an add-in or some other program you've loaded that's affecting it? Under Tools/Templates & add-ins, is anything loaded?

I can't think of anything else.

One other thing: according to KB article
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q211/2/06.ASP?

tooltips are controlled by
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0CommonT oolbars

Mine has the value of 1. You could check both during & after a session of Word.

One other thought. I don't know if we tried this, but did you rename normal.dot & let Word start a new one? I've forgotten.

fuadmyahya

1. Yes, there are addins:
    ewed.dot
    lookup_9.dot
    PDFMaker.dot
    WordRMR.dot
    crsdk32.wll
    I have the same addins on my office computer (WinNT4.0). I don't have the problem on my office computer -- just on my home computer (WinMe).

2. The registry key has the value of 1 before, during after opening or closing Word.

3. Renameing Normal.dot did not make any difference.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread:
    Have you tried starting Word with none of add-ins?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast