Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quirk in Outlook 2002 connection? (Outlook 2002)

Well, I've almost got this XP Pro/Office XP Pro machine doing everything it needs to do. The last major hurdle is getting Outlook to connect to my corporate e-mail account. (Early today I finally got into and past what the techs call the RAS server.) As far as anyone can tell, all the settings for this account are correct (account name, password, server IPs for POP3 & SMTP, and there's no Exchange server involved). In fact, I even had the techs reset my password on their end so that we're on a level playing field about that, too.

Nevertheless, when running the "Test Account Settings" for this account, it dials in to the servers through RAS, can "see" the SMTP server, can usually send the test message, but can't log into the POP3 server. Since I've been between laptops for several weeks, I'm sure I've got hundreds of e-mails backed up waiting for me.

Tech is minimally helpful at best, and has come to the point where they're saying, "We don't support XP or Office XP." (The laptop came from another part of the company; too difficult to describe the convoluted relationships.) Bottom line: they've done everything they're going to do and I'm on my own to get this to work on my end. I've even tried various permutations under More Settings | Outgoing Server, but to no effect. (Yes, I know that the POP3 server is the incoming, but there are e-equivalents to various superstitious practices, and playing with completely unrelated settings is one of them.)

All the entries are typed correctly; I've compared them diligently to the setting on my almost-retired Win98 laptop, even had someone else check my spelling. Everything's correctly entered. But it's still not working. Anybody out there see what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

P.S.: Yes, the password is case-correct, and I'm told the account name is case-indifferent.

Thanks

Re: Quirk in Outlook 2002 connection? (Outlook 2002)

Well...are there any error messages in the logs on the POP3 server that might be illuminating?

One thing to check for are the authentication settings. I don't use XP, so I can't check myself, but this is a problem that can occur if there are too many retries as a result of the client software's desire to authenticate to the POP3 server. Read about my experience with Pocket Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It'll be a cold day in... well, in a VERY hot place before anybody up that way would check (much less share with me) any error messages from the logs of the server. I fear that the problem has it roots more in politics than in hardware/software settings. Your experience with Pocket Outlook, though, are interesting. I wonder how such a thing could be checked with OL2002?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some other questions/ideas:

Do you get any error messages? If so, what?
    Do you use any anti-virus software? Try turning it off.
    Could the POP server be using a non-default port. You can check yours in the account setup, advanced tab.
    Does your authentication method match the server?
    Maybe your profile is corrupt. You can try creating a new one (control panel, Mail)
    You might check article Q287532 on the MS KB http://support.microsoft.com for other ideas.

Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have found that by deleteing the account and making a new entry in Outlook works more often than trying to edit the account to fix things. This way what ever is wrong, is removed and a clean fresh start will help.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Responding seriatim:

1) No, no other erro messages.
    2) I'll experiment with the AV software.
    3) At least according to Tech, the POP3/SMTP ports are standard (110 & 25, respectively).
    4) I'm not sure how to answer your question about the authentication method used, other than to say that nothing like SPA or SSL is required.
    5) I tried a new profile, under a different name; no go.
    6) I had already checked that article, but thanks for the suggestion.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it twice, but no luck.

Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What ISP is this? Maybe we can go look at their webpage to see if we can find anything.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alas, it's not an ISP. At least there I could vote with my wallet. No, it's our corporate client. A few of us who work with them exclusively, are assigned to their mail server rather than to our own. What do you know about Post.Office MTA? That's the mail server software they're using. Maybe that would give us a clue.

Thanks

From OpenWave? The support home page for Post.Office is http://support.openwave.com/post_office.html. You can find manuals and FAQs, of which this part, regarding troubleshooting the server end, seems relevant:

Post.Office v3, Frequently Asked Questions, Section 11 Troubleshooting, 11.2 Access Issues

It's sad that you are stuck doing this. Hopefully, it's experience you can use down the road.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the one from OpenWave. I went to that part of the manual, too, and have forwarding the relevant part of the manual to my friends. But what will come of that, I'm not certain.

And, yes, I hope the experience I gain is worth something to somebody along the way. Maybe other ideas will be forthcoming from others in the lounge. I don't see that there's much else I can do.

Thanks

Just curious. If you set up a connection via MollyMail or a by adding a POP3 account to a Yahoo mail account, will it log in? Just want to see if it's specific to Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would that I could. Their mail server is set up so that remote users MUST dial in; there's no access through outside ISPs. I have tried it using Outlook Express 6, with the same results, but perhaps OE6 uses the same underlying technology as OL2002; or its results might be affected the same way if the problem is somewhere in the OS (i.e., XP Pro). I suspect the latter, though since XP clears their RAS server just fine..

Thanks

When you "RAS in" with the Win 98, do you get the same or very similar IP address as when you connect via the new laptop? I think our RAS box assigns IP addresses from its own reserved list, rather than assigning an available DHCP address. Possibly your new laptop is doing something differently in this regard?

As you probably know all too well by now, you can find the IP address for your various network and dial-up connections as follows:

Win98: Start|Run... wipipcfg, click More Info (or whatever expands the dialog) and use the drop-down list to find the RAS connection. Note the gateway and your IP and whatever else. Maybe just print a screenshot of it.

WinNT/2k/XP: Start|Run... cmd, at the prompt ipconfig /all

If there's no difference here, and you really cannot get error information from the mail server, I think I'm out of ideas.