New Lounger
    Thanks

Open a form based on a value from another form (2000)

Hello, I hope someone can help me because I cannot find the answer in any posts. If it is posted here or in an Access Archon columns please point me in the right direction.
    I am working on a database for a non-profit organization that tracks member contact info.
    I want to have a small form that will search for a name (last or last and first) if the name exists, I want to open it in a form to be edited, if it doesn't exist, I want to open the data entry form to add it with the name already in the proper fields. If the search is based on last name alone and there is more than one record with this value, I would need to either narrow the search or open a set of forms based on the last name.
    Thanks for any help you can give to me with this.

Dan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open a form based on a value from another form (2000)

I used Helen Fedemma's accarch08 file to do a similar task with student enrollment. Here is the link:
    Helen Fedemma's Access Archon 8 file
    It should start you on the right path.
    HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I believe it comes close, except for the use of a combo box. This would work fine for a few records, but not the hundreds I have. I think the general idea will work, I just need a different way to search since the NotInList function is made for the combo box.

Thanks again

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't want to use a combo box, look up the NoMatch property in Access Visual Basic Help. The return value is a Boolean that is True if the desired record was not found in the recordset.