Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Page Number + New...

Help!!! I am (literally) mid way through a PowerPoint Masterclass training course and the ######s are asking difficult questions.

1. How do I insert Slide Numbers that ignore the Title page - so that the slide 2 is actually shown as slide 1, and so on through the presentation.

2. How do I add the toolbar button (as can easily be done in Word and Excel) that gives the New file dialog box, rather than just creating a new blank presentation. Basically I want New... rather than New

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Number + New...

Sounds urgent!!! so second bit first.
    View | Toolbars | Customize. Click on Commands tab and make sure File is selected in the Categories (Left Hand) box. Select New... in the Commands (Right hand) box and drag and drop to the toolbar.
    Silverback

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First part second!
    File | Page Setup | Number slides from
    . . .and for your posted problem set this to zero.
    Silverback

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brian,

Thanks for your help. The course finished sucessfully and my delegates went away happy. The Slide Numbering worked perfectly, but the New... option is still a problem and here's why.
    I should have said I was teaching a group on PowerPoint 97 not 2000. In 2000 your answer works perfectly (as it does in Word 2000 and 97, and Excel 2000 and 97) but not in PowerPoint 97. The View, Toolbars, Customize screen simply does not show New... as an option. New is there but not New...
    I don't know if this is the case with PowerPoint 97 all over, or just a fault with out Install.

Thanks again, and any further help will be much appreciated.

Jon

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, sorry. Assuming again. [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    My PP97 also does not show New... so it doesn't look like an installation issue with your config.
    However, I've managed it this way in 97.
    View | Toolbars | Customize. With the customize dialogue still open, click on the File menu. Using <Ctrl + Left Click>, drag and drop New... on to a toolbar. (You can of course already have created a new toolbar if you don't want it on a predefined toolbar). The control key makes the drag and drop into a 'copy' action rather than a direct action which would remove New... from the File menu.
    Cheers [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Silverback

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You Sir, are a Star[img]/w3timages/icons/ribbon.gif[/img]. I knew there must be a way. Thanks again.