Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Invalid field data type

I have an Access 97(SR-1) application that is made of one MDB back-end database on a Small Business Server 4.5 and the front-end is a MDE file that runs on the workstations of three users on Win98.
    From time to time (I can find any logic) one of the tables in the back-end becomes corrupted. The message I receive is
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invalid field data type

The first thing to look for in this kind of roving corruption is memo fields. Those cause the majority of corruption problems, especially in multiuser environments and across a network. Do any of your tables have memo fields? How about multiple memo fields in the same table? It is rare that you actually need a memo field, although it may seem like a good idea to include one for notes. Usually data can be contained in a 255 character text field, so only use memos when you actually need to store more characters than that or when you are storing an OLE object in the field. I use them very rarely and I can't remember the last time I had any problems with table corruption.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Charlotte,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I have one memo field in one table, but it is not always that table that becomes corrupted. It can be any one of the 13 tables.
    I'll have a try and change the memo field into a text field and see if I get more corruption. It can take a few weeks to see if it works because some times it takes so long before the corruption happens.
    Do you think installing SR-2 (Access 97) can be a solution or can it be a network problem ? I don't trust Small Business Sever very much.

Francois
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't have SR-2 installed, get it and install it! It cured a variety of odd problems with Office 97. I don't have any experience with Small Business Server, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Maybe someone else will jump in on that.
    Charlotte