Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible ADSL router (1)

The following problem has got me and 2 experts I have consulted beat, so far.

A small network peer to peer network with mixed Windows 98, Windows 2000 computers and a single Windows XP machine were functioning just fine.

The Windows XP is used as a workstation and also functions as a file-server.

A Nokia ADSL router (model M1122) was attached to the network. One by one the computers were configured to obtain an IP address automatically from the DHCP server on the router - they had previously been configured with fixed IP addressess.

All went well on the Windows 98 and Windows 2000 machines. But the Windows XP machine cannot see the router at all. A ping from the XP machine to the router fails, and the XP machine cannot obtain an IP address from the router and will start up in autoconfigure mode or with address 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0.

The actual IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1.

If I fix the IP address of the Windows XP machine (the server) to, say, 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 there is full interconnectivity between the it and the other computers on the network for example the Windows 98 machine at 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0. Ping and file access work perfectly both ways. The XP machine can also ping itself successfully. However it still cannot even ping the router at 192.168.1.1.

All this would not matter if it were not for the fact that the user of the XP machine needs to be able to access the Internet, hence see the router.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible ADSL router (1)

Could this be a physical connectivity problem?
    Are all PCs and the ADSL box connected to a single switch?
    Have you tried swapping cables and ports around between the PCs?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am experiencing a similar problem, I cannot connect to Dynalink ADSL Router from a WXP Pro machine. The DHCP server on the Router is able to supply a IP address to the computer and this appears in the network configuration settings, but nothing else works. I have W98, W2K and one WXP Pro computers on our peer to peer network all other computers have no problems.
    Initially the XP computer was able to connect to the router (this is a new computer installed a week ago), the problem appeared when a dial up connection was set up. Now the computer treats the dial up as the DHCP server and obtains an IP address from our ISP. I have tried deleting the dial up but this doesn't fix anything.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim W,

Fortunately my problem resolved itself. I didn't post here because I thought it'll be one of those inexplicable things which happen with computers occasionally (?).

Here's all I did. The computers all connected to each other and the ADSL with a hub. All that was needed was to move the connection between the XP and the hub from port 1 to port 3. Immediately everything started working properly. So the best suggestion I could make would be to try various connection combinations.

There is a also a discussion of this problem on the microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web discussion group.

Good luck.

Jim B.