New Lounger
    Thanks

graphing/showing hexadecimal (Excel 2000)

I would like to enter hexadecimal data (for example, FFF, FFE, F81) in a series of cells and continue
    to have the values I entered look like what I entered (so it is easy to validate the numbers). I would
    then like to graph the data. I could do a =HEX2DEC("FFF") etc in each cell, but then the representation
    of the hex number is lost (unless someone can tell me how to do a custom format). I thought I could
    do a second row of data that referenced the first, for example, =HEX2DEC(A1) etc where A1 is the
    cell that contains the FFF. But HEX2DEC doesn't seem to take references. I believe that I can brute
    force a solution by writing my own function that takes references to hex numbers and converts them
    to decimal, which then can be graphed, but I was wondering if I can get the job done with Excel's
    built-in functionality.

Thanks.

Eric Baatz

P.S. Please don't discount that I might be missing something obvious, like a standard way to get
    HEX2DEC, or any other function, to take a reference rather than a literal, or something else. I'm
    relatively new to Excel.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: graphing/showing hexadecimal (Excel 2000)

HEX2DEC *does* take references, like any function of XL.
    =HEX2DEC(A1), (entered in another cell!) gives me 255 if A1 contains FF.

What do you get when you do this?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks

I get exactly what you say I should (and what I expected when I tried it previously). I don't have a clue
    as to what was going on when Excel was giving me NAME errors before.

But that is not your problem. Thanks for getting me straightened out in a record short time!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The NAME errors occur if you haven't got the analysis toolpak addin installed.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks

That makes sense, but I thought I checked for that before I tried out HEX2DEC. When I retried due
    to your reply, I used the same system and I had not installed any add-ins since I had experimented
    the previous day. I had no problem on the retry. At this point, I don't have the slightest idea
    what I must have been doing yesterday when I was experimenting, so I'll just carry on from
    where I am today. Thanks for your help, and sorry to have used so much of your time.