New Lounger
    Thanks

Win2k - Win95 Direct Cable connection

Hi,

I used to synchronize my Win 95 laptop with my Win 95 desktop using a direct cable connection.

I now have a new desktop running Win 2k. Is it possible to run a direct cable connection with the Win 95 laptop? I have tried to setup the connection but I cannot get the two computers to "see" each other.

Any Ideas?

Daniele

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2k - Win95 Direct Cable connection

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot. That website is a great resource, and I got a lot of useful info.

However, I am not 100% there. I now got the basics setup, I launch the DCC on the laptop, the W2k desktop "sees" it coming, but then I am asked to specify the network password. What do I do? I had setup my laptop as a "new user" in the W2k desktop, with no passwords. If I leave the password blank, or insert any of the passwords I have in the desktop, it is rejected.

One curious thing - when I set up the "Incoming connection" on the W2k desktop, I selected the User Name of the laptop in the Allowed Users dialog box, without entering a password. However, when I inspect the properties, there is a row of xxxxxxxx in the password box. If cancel them and save the settings, they reappear again!

What must I do?

Daniele

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two things:
    Look here: Computer Name, follow just the part under Computer Names, to be sure both computers have the SAME workgroup name.

Secondly, look at this page, actually a bit more detail than the first I sent you: DCC Step-by-Step Setup For Windows 95/98/2000 -- Contents

Follow Section II, and specifically, look at the part: (on your Win2k machine)
    Set Your Security Settings

Click on Start - Settings

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks! Both computers are now connected! I had to set up the W2k desktop as the guest and with the settings you suggested everything is fine! Great to get the problem solved!

One niggle though: occasionally the connection is dropped and I have to click on Direct Connection again to get it going. I read that this might be due to a bug in W2k - will investigate further.

Cheers

Daniele

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great! Almost there [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

See if this applies to how you are setup now: Parallel Direct Cable Connection Drops Shortly After Connecting

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, it probably does apply to me! However I am running an Italian W2k, so cannot check for sure. I'll wait for a new service pack to come along. I can live with connecting again if the line is dropped. Thanks again for your help!

Daniele