New Lounger
    Thanks

Uninterruptible tasks? (2000)

How can I ensure that tasks are not spilt up? That is, if a task has a duration of 6 hours, and the earliest start time is 3 PM, I'd like it to be scheduled for the next day, first thing. It currently ends up being scheduled for 2 hours now and 4 hours the next day--and drawing a bar across the entire evening.

How can I keep tasks together/uninterrupted?

Thanks,

Wallace

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uninterruptible tasks? (2000)

Try scheduling the duration as 6eh: where the "e" represents elapsed time and will include your weekend.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I did that, and it works--sort of. The task is now uninterrupted, but it starts at 5 and runs until 11! I've changed the calendar just in case--from standard to none to one I've tweaked...same result.

I looked for help on the "elapsed" notation but didn't find it. Can you recommend any websites with tips and tricks like this?

--Wallace

New Lounger
    Thanks

I realize that this posting is over two years old, but I hope that you have used this enough to help me. I, like you, need to schedule uninterruptible tasks. If one of our 6 hour tests are started we can not stop until it is complete. Therefore, if we are ready to start a 6 hour test at 2 PM, I'd like Project to reschedule for 8 AM the next day. I tried using "ehrs" but it didn't seem to make a difference. I believe I've made the appropriate changes to my calendar.

What am I doing wrong? How can I keep tasks uninterrupted?

Thanks,

Kurt

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kurt,
    Don't know if you are still looking for an answer, but I have one for you. Before your 6 hour testing task, add a task with a 1 min. duration. Link the 1 min. task as the predecessor to your 6 hour testing task. Then create a new calendar (Tools, Change Working Time) and make the working time for the new calendar from 8:00 AM to 9:58 AM and 5:00 PM to 5:01 pm. Assign the new calendar to the one minute task (double click on the task and on the advanced tab, set the calendar as the task calendar.) The task calendar will force the one minute task to occur only before 9:58 AM (still leaving you the 6 hours working time for the testing task), or the 1 min. task will automatically be scheduled at 5:00 pm pushing your testing task to 8:00 am the next day. Hope this helps.