3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multi Column Subreport (Access 2000 /2002)

In the process of testing a subreport that I am developing, I encountered this bug. The report was developed in Access 2000 with some VBA code and then converted to Access 2002.

Here is my problem: The article says that this issue applies to Access 2000 but when I convert the report to 2002 I still have the same problem. Their solution, to use the "Across, then Down" option, works in both 2000 and 2002 . But what if I want the data to snake "Down, then Across"? When I do a search on the MS Knowledge Base using the same keywords but for Access 2002, I don't get the same article. The article itself does not say that it applies to 2002. However, my testing shows that it is still a bug in 2002.

Does anyone have any thoughts / solutions on this issue?

Thanks.
    Carol W.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Multi Column Subreport (Access 2000 /2002)

You are dealing with a fundamental inconsistency between how subreports expand down to provide space and wanting to snake columns down - maybe they have a really clever programmer that can figure out how to do that, but I doubt it. If they did, it would probably cause trouble with other functions. In any event, Access multi-column reports don't work all that well if you compare them to something like Word. OLE Automation creating a report in Word would be my solution if I had to do that kind of thing, which I did recently. Sorry to be the bearer of less than happy news.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell:

Thanks for the reply. My client has agreed to have the report snake "across then down" after I explained the bug to him, so this is an academic issue for me, but it's an interesting one.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see how it would be a tough programming assignment to allow a multi column subreport to snake down then across. If they required that the height of the subreport be fixed, the program could calculate how many lines would fit in the report and then start a new column when necessary. Perhaps this is an oversimplification on my part.

Thanks again.
    Carol W.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think it's tougher than it initially appears. In general, subreport controls have to have the Can Grow property turned on because you don't have scroll bars on reports. (You can set the property to No, but that would make it impossible to deal with multi-record subreports.) If you presume that there are other controls that can grow or shrink based on data content, then figuring out the maximum size the subreport could be for a given record on a given page (which is also variable based on paper size) of the report gets to be a formidable challenge.

I don't normally give the Access development team much slack (see for example what happens when you set the body of a report to must fit on the same page and you have field that grows beyond the limit of one page), but in this case I think the complexity outweighs any benefits. It is an interesting issue for sure!
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, again, for the reply.

After reflecting on this for a while, I suppose the task would be more of a challenge than it first appeared.
    Carol W.