New Lounger
    Thanks

Locks when using Ctrl M

Hello, whenever I use the shortcut key Ctrl+M to change my margin, Word 97 freezes up. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete every time. This has only started happening. I am a shortcut person and keep forgetting about this quirk. I checked to make sure that I did not accidently make Ctrl+M a shortcut key to something else.

Any suggestions?

Signed,
    Newbie to group (Milly)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locks when using Ctrl M

I believe that having all of my autocorrect features turned off is what did it. Because when I turned some of them on, the problem went away. Thanks for the tip. Not crazy about adding the service release in case it adds other problems.

Again, thanks for the great advice.

Milly

BAM

*** Geoff W URL Markup added ***
    Hi Milly,

There is a Service Release, Word SR3 that addresses an issue such as this.

One note to make here is that the SR is not officially called Word SR3, MS just lists it as Post Service Release Fixes. (It's just easier to keep track of what came first this way!)

The error fixed in Word SR3 is due to having too many Word options turned off.

In Tools/Options/Edit see if the "Tabs and backspace set left indent" option is cleared. And see if you have cleared all checkboxes in Tools/AutoCorrect and those found on the AutoFormat as you Type tab.

If this is the case then you would need to either turn something on :-) or install the SR3 patch.

Note that Office 97 SR1 and SR2b must be installed before the Word SR3 patch.

SR1: <A HREF="http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/articles/sr1fact.htm
    " target="_blank">http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/articles/sr1fact.htm</A>
    SR2:http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/download...off97detail.htm
    Word SR3:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q265/3/74.ASP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Milly,

If you don't have SR-2 I would suggest you do. It is reliable, and fixes a lot of problems- including a recalc bug in Excel which was on occasions not totalling all my hours.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, that's requirement at where I work and these patches really were needed. I hadn't yet heard of the third patch and am always hesitant to try something new until its been out a little while so I can hear about the kinks. Tx for the heads up.

Mil

BAM

Hi Milly,

The Post Service Release Fixes for Word 97 is three combined patches, the Mail Merge Security Update, Leap Year Update, and ODMA Update.

Altogether it has about 50 fixes.

Those that I found most annoying that were: the PAGE X of Y and SectionPages, NumPages bugs, Mail Merge Find Record failure, clicking a form field and the OnEntry macro not running, etc.

FWIW, I installed it when it was first available and haven't had any problems, nor have I heard about any problems.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll see about loading it.

See ya
    Milly