New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to insert GIF pictures

In any Office 97 program, I am now unable to insert GIF files. This problem has only occured within the last month. When I go to insert picture and I know the GIF file is in the directory I am looking, no GIF files even show. In the "File of type" list, there are no GIF extensions option. If I change the file name to *.* to list all in the directory and I click on a file with the GIF extension, a window pops up saying, "Convert File from: windows enhanced metafile, etc".

I've re-installed with the Office disks and checked all the appropriate places to install GIF files. Even the office computer technician unsuccessfully tried to fix my problem. In documents where the GIF is already there, I can see and manipulate it. The drop and drag also works but prefer to fix the problem instead of going around. In PowerPoint, drop and drag of pictures make the file size so much bigger. Any ideas?

Milly

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to insert GIF pictures

It's possible the .gif filter is corrupt, this KB article Q162784 describes re-installation of the jpeg filter but will likely work with the .gif filter as well. Hope it helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice and quick reply. I tried it (as did the computer technician to be sure I did it right) and it still won't recognize GIFs. I even copied the Gifim32.flt from another computer that is exactly like mine and replaced mine with no success. I'll try responding to Microsoft's article and see if that helps.

Tx again,
    Milly

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, one other thing that might help. You indicated in a previous post that you re-installed Office. I've had some success in replacing corrupted installations by completely un-installing Office 97 which requires that you run the Eraser97.exe after you have used Add/Remove programs in control panel. If you need to download it see the KB article Q176823 Hope that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was dreading that answer. Yeah, guess gotta do it. Thanks especially for the Eraser info.

See ya,
    Milly