2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Can't link to DB; I've tried HARD (2000)

[i]This is an ongoing saga

Thanks

Re: Can't link to DB; I've tried HARD (2000)

The first thing that comes to mind is that I don't know if by FTPing your site, you are moving the database connection information to the ISP.
    Is there a particular reason you use FTP?

Cheers
    (ps thanks for cutting the message down)
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

I believe FP stores the connection strings in the global.asa file in the root folder. Did that one get uploaded?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for trying to help. Yes, the global.asa file has been uploaded (I verified loading for all files in all directories).

I believe the crucial code in global.asa is (dbconn911 = verified FP name, db911 = DB name):
    1. <LI><SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>
      <LI>Sub Application_OnStart
      <LI> . . . . . . '==FrontPage Generated - startspan==
      <LI> . . . . . . Dim FrontPage_UrlVars(1)
      <LI> . . . . . . '--Project Data Connection
      <LI> . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Application("<font color=red>dbconn911</font color=red>_ConnectionString") = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=URL=<font color=red>fpdb/db911.mdb</font color=red>"
      <LI> . . . . . . . . . . . . . .FrontPage_UrlVars(0) = "<font color=red>dbconn911</font color=red>_ConnectionString"
    I also thought that the following code in "linkinfo .cnf in folder _vti_pvt" might be important:
    1. <LI>vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl
      <LI>x-dataconn:///d<font color=red>:/sites/_web/01/dbconn911</font color=red>:index.asp
      <LI>x-dataconn:///d<font color=red>:/sites/_web/01/dbconn911/</font color=red>driver={microsoft access driver (*.mdb)};dbq=url=<font color=red>fpdb/db911.mdb</font color=red>:global.asa
    Unfortunately I just don't have a clue if this is "correct."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<big>Finally!</big>
    First - thanks everyone who responded and who looked with the idea of helping.

I tried a new host....
    1. <LI>I FTP'd to a "Test" folder, and my "test case" failed to find the DB yet again
      <LI>I FTP'd to the root, and by mistake hit F5 (refresh) on my browser before realizing that the URL was still "http://166.140.164.146/Test/index.asp" - in other words, I forgot to get rid of the "/Test"! But it worked. Hooray!
      <LI>I deleted the "/Test" from the URL and it worked again.
      <LI>But when I retried it with the "/Test" in the URL it would not work again.
    I am positive that it has worked in folders above the root level several times. But I am now finally working again - no time to waste on academic issues for a while!

And I was able to solve the problem of images specified in the DB (issue discussed elsewhere in this forum).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by WebGenii on 10-Apr-02 23:04.</P>After much investigation I concluded that ASP files cannot be uploaded directly by FP (per MS support article HOW TO: Send Form Results to a Database and an E-mail Message and Upload a File in FrontPage 2002 )
    .(Q299931)
    <hr>The File Upload component cannot be used with the Send To Database component in FrontPage 2002, because the former requires a page with an .htm file extension, and the latter requires .asp. Specifically, the File Upload component is processed on the server by the Shtml.dll file. When the user requests a page with an .asp file extension from the server, this indicates to the server that the page contains server-side ASP code and must be processed by the Asp.dll file. The server cannot process the page through both DLL files before sending the results to the client. <hr>
    I'm actually using FP2000, but it seems it's the same. But there are enough differences that the lesson didn't work with 2000!

Why did I have to dig deep to find this?

PS The MDB file is in the "/b1/fdpb folder", full permission is granted to everyone, etc