New Lounger
    Thanks

Critical file security

Hi,

My wife manages 6 public housing community resource centers that each have small LAN's (4 - 8 pc's WIN 98 se)
    She is looking for desktop management software that will keep her users from installing programs, or deleting things like .dll's, .exe's etc. or any critical Windows files.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Karl

Thanks

Re: Critical file security

The problem with W98 is that it is inherently insecure - you can log in by just hitting Escape.

How proficient are the users? - any hacks that can be made can (in theory) be unmade.

New Lounger
    Thanks

She is dealing with mostly novice users, I really think the file deletion/changing is more unintentional due to program installation. It seems like every couple of weeks, she is having to re-install Windows on one machine or another because of corruption/deletion. In these cases, Windows won't even load because of a missing file, so she can't use the restore utility.

Should she be thinking about Win 2K?

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

I think using W2K would certainly make life a lot simpler to keep the OS's nailed down.
    Can you give us an idea of the sort of applications the users need / want / are allowed to run? - thankfully I don't have much of that kind of problem to deal with here at work, but there are plenty of those who do have the experioence to help you further.
    Stand by!

New Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to IE, they have MS Office 2K apps and some other installed educational programs. The long and short is, no one other than the admin people need to be able to install, delete, update apps. The users may need to save .doc, .xls etc files to disk, as well as user files for things like Typing Tutor etc, so strict disk limitation is out.

Hope this sheds more light.

Thanks,
    Karl

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like a definite need to move over to Windows 2000. The users won't be limited on their ability to save files as needed, but they will not be able to toast an installation either, if they are set up with appropriate rights.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might check out KidProof. I am not sure how or even if it will work on a network. I bought it about 6 months ago and have never installed it, so I cannot tell you whether it is worth it or not. If it works on a network, it might be a substantial savings over upgrading the OS.