Thread: save (2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

save (2000)

I have a Word 2000 document (it is not finished yet!) that contains some pages of text and a dozen of embedded equations and pictures (track changes enabled). File size is cca. 1MB. But some days ago when I tried to edit and to save it again I got a message "Disk full or too many files open...". Now Word doesn't want to save changes in this file any more. But hard drive has 10GB of free space! Tried Scandisk, virus check... everything OK. Tried to save the file under different name. Doesn't help. Tried to copy&paste it into a new document, do that on another machine (also with different Word version). Doesn't work.... saving it in the rtf format (as one of the recovery options) produces just a garbage.

What shall I do??? Please help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: save (2000)

HI igor:
    See if this link helps:
    WD2000: Error Message: The Disk Is Full or Too Many Files Are Open (Q224041)

It seems that it is a known problem when using the Equation Editor.

Thanks

You cannot copy and paste the whole document because that will bring the corrupted object along with it. Usually it was the last equation added or edited that became corrupt, so if you can remove that one and save as a new document, that results in the least data loss. You might be able to copy/paste into WordPad; this will not bring over the equations, so it's only a salvage operation for the text.

What I usually do when assisting a user with this is select a run of maybe 5 pages and save as a new document, and keep doing this in chunks until the problem is found, saving everything possible, but requiring that the document be reconstructed a bit. Sorry there isn't a more scientific solution!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think this would work. Thanks.

Igor