Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

EXhibiting SMART BULLETS ( (Word97/sr2))

Despite my pleas in this post, I now want to make better use of the"'smarts" in Word.

Specifically, the "one-half" business.

When I type a "1" and a "/" and then a "2" I get a good representation of one-half, and I like it.(

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: EXhibiting SMART BULLETS ( (Word97/sr2))

<pre></pre>

Do I take it that you might not have looked at this recent issue of The Editorium? HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You do and I hadn't but I might have had I known and anyway, I knew about the sub/super method. That's another kettle of fish.

What bugs me is that the AutoCorrect won't fire up the way I want (I type 2, and then 1/2).

For the 2 1/2 case I can see that in order to resolve it I'd need AutoCorrect to keep looking backwards ("Let's see, he's just typed a 2 and before that he had typed a slash and before THAT a he had typed a one - hey! maybe he wants a half"), which would be cumbersome, and Bill Gates isn't likely to place it at the top of his list.

Since my first posting I believe I have found that an open parentheses preceding my fraction doesn't trigger AutoCorrect either ( try "(1/2 a year spent in Singapore)").

I suspect I'm just having a bad day and want Word to do all the typing for me .....

Now, your link was interesting, and it has prompted me to make a posting in Lounge Matters.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<pre></pre>

If it's
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> You have an ongoing point about the accumulating wealth of information here.

If you mean like "pet hobby horse", you're right. I'm a great believer in the power of a search mechanism to drill down to the people who know. It's not so much that 'the answer is here" as much as "I can identify the person most likely to be able to supply an answer".

As much as possible I'll search this WOPR data base, now 2 years old, because chances are I'll get the answer right away without having to post and wait for a response.

I like to include (search)(/search) when I do post, because I figure one reader will be saying "I wrote about that ....", and if I can cut down the time it takes them to locate the post, so much the better for me.

I'm really very selfish (grin!)

Thanks

If you're willing to spend a lot of time on it, you can define them as a unit:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>define them as a unit:

Right. But this will only work until my 56th birthday, then I'll have to define 56 1/2, and so on.

You did mean to define a "1/2" for every integer known to man, didn't you?

Thanks

> You did mean to define a "1/2" for every integer known to man, didn't you?

Only the ones you find yourself typing over and over.

Seems simplest to type in your numbers with a space, and then, to clean up your document, run a one-time FractionSnug macro that looks for fractions with a numeral and space preceding them and removes the space.