New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home Scheduler (XP Home Version 2600)

Is there any way to get task scheduler to work in XP Home if I have no accounts with passwords? Every time I set up a task, I can't get it to run, getting the message that I have an incorrect password. But, my adminstrative account doesn't have a password as I don't need one on my home PC and I don't want the hassle of typing in a password every time I log in.

WIll Scheduler only work with accounts that have assigned passwords?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: XP Home Scheduler (XP Home Version 2600)

Your "Admin" account does have a password, it is what ever you typed in, including a 'enter' if that is what you did when you set up XP. As you do need a "Admin" account, it is required in order to start the computer up in the safe mode.

You are using a "account", but it may be the default one. If you go to 'My Computer' and do a listing of your files, which folder with 'Documents and Settings' are ther saved under? This will tell you what account you are using.

I do beleive that Scheduler will work with any valid account, but it does NOT require a password. The 'alluser' and 'default' are not valid accounts to be used on a normal bases.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Home Scheduler (XP Home Version 2600)

Thanks for the quick feedback. Actually, in XP/Home I never did type in a password when creating the account. It doesn't require it when setting up a new account. In the User Accounts window, I can select an account and then I can select "create a password", but I've never done that as there was no need (until maybe now).

My primary administrative account is named "Joe" and my documents save to "Cocuments and SettingsJoeMy Documents" by default. When logged into this account (or any other valid administrative account I"ve set up for other members of my family), I can't get Scheduler to work, getting the invalid password error.

I tried setting up a new administrative account named "Test", then went into the Account settings and created a blank password (just hit enter). Then I set up a simple scheduled task under this account, but again it didn't work, saying I did not have a valid password.

Then, I went back into the Account Settings and created an actual password. Then, setting up a new Scheduled task in this account and using the password, the task finally ran. However, it will only run if I'm logged into the Test account, not any other?

To add to the mystery, there are some Scheduled tasks set up automatically by Norton Systemworks (Antivirus scan and OneButton Checkup) that do run, even though set up by Systemworks under the "Joe" account with a blank password.

So, it appears that a valid Scheduled task must be created in an account with a non-blank password, although Systemworks has apparently figured a way around this.