Thread: Error 1706.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Error 1706.

I'm running into this problem to where every time i open Explorer or other programs, Windows Installer automatically pops up and starts installing. It started out trying to install Frontpage everytime I opened Explorer...so I removed FrontPage thinking that it would take care of the problem..and now Windows Installer is trying to install Microsoft XP Professional. I'm not trying to install new software...i'm just opening up programs. It reads the following message: Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. Please Help! ; )

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error 1706.

Since this is on a Windows 2000 machine, are you using a NEW account?
    Are you trying to open Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer and what 'other' programs?

Also do a search in the "General Office Solutions " on error 1706 and you will find a few posts.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 1706.

This is the Windows 2000 forum, so I'm not sure about the install attempt for Windows XP. However, I had a similar recurring problem whenever I ran a particular minor shareware program; for some reason whenever I tried to start the program the Windows installer would initialize, attempting to install the Office 2000 suite, which was already fully installed. If I didn't furnish the CD, I would be told that the required files could not be found. Apparently some keys in the registry were corrupted. I suggest a repair reinstall of Windows, which should not alter any of your established settings.