Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My Documents (Win XP Pro)

How can I do away with all the duplicate stuff that Win XP is forcing on me? I AM THE ONLY one who uses my computer. Why should I have to have two: Start Menus, Favorites, Programs folders, etc, etc.

Whenever I install a new program, it's like rolling dice. It might end up in the <font color=blue>All Users | Start Menu | Programs</font color=blue> or it might be put in to the <font color=blue>Ricky | Start Menu | Programs</font color=blue>. What an annoyance this is.

Lastly, I'm looking at an explorer window right now and in the left pane, My Documents is listed three times:
    <pre>1 - DesktopMy Documents
    2 - Cocuments and SettingsRicky RidgdillMy Documents
    3 - My ComputerRickyRidgdillsDocuments</pre>

The contents of each one is identical. I've tried deleting the first and third in the list but Windows keeps reviving them and bringing them back. Gooooooood Job!
    - Ricky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My Documents (Win XP Pro)

do all the folders point to the same location? Typically, the desktop one is a shortcut to the one under documents and settings. The one under my computer, listed at the top of the folder tree, is also just a view of the one in my docs and settings folders.

As for the two sets of folders, all users and ricky, winxp is built on NT and thats how it is. If you are the only user, it doesn't matter where you install the shortcuts (to your folder or all users) since htye are replicated to your folders. However, if you ever add a second user, they won't have all the shortcuts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You have listed the following:
    1 - DesktopMy Documents
    2 - Cocuments and SettingsRicky RidgdillMy Documents
    3 - My ComputerRickyRidgdillsDocuments

Which if you look and understood Windows are ALL linked to the same folder. Just learn to use one of them and forget the others.

You are NOT the only user of your computer, you do have and will need the "Admin" account sooner or later.
    When installing software, it will be installed in your grouping unless, the installer is told differently. Some older instaler will default to the all user folder without asking.

If you 'do away' with all of the duplicate stuff, you will be closing all of the backdoors and be defeating the whole basis of Windows XP and NT.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary and Dave. I can see the good in this.

In a workplace environment where multiple users use the same computer, they could all have unique login names, passwords, their own set of applications and document storage.

And at home where a family shared a computer. Wouldn't want the kiddies getting into daddy's spreadsheets!

But where one user is involved, XP clutters the place up pretty good. The more I try to get used to XP, the more I miss 98!

I just need to get used to the changes.
    - Ricky

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ricky, I'd bet that if you give yourself time to do just that - get used to the changes - you will find yourself swearing off Windows 98. There are several little annoyances in XP, as with all software - but for my money, it has been the Windows that Should Have Been and is utterly reliable. I'll take that over a Fatal Exception 0E any day!!
    -Mark