Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linked Table properties (2000 SR1)

Good Evening,

I have a delimited text file that I want to link to - no problems so far. But I want the link to be One Way only, ie., giving me data in the Access Database and Not allow changing data in the text file. Also, I would like to set one of the fields to Index(No duplicates). From all I read, I can not do this. If I can not set Index(No duplicates) in the linked Access table, am I correct in creating the link and have another table with the properties set the way I want and use an Append Query.

Thanks,
    Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked Table properties (2000 SR1)

I am unclear about a few things. By "Not allow changing data in the text file" do you mean that Access should not be able to change data in the text file, or do you mean that changes to the text file can be made by Access, but not by a user opening the file directly? If you mean the first, i.e. Access should not change the text file, I do not know why you would care about no duplicates or not. Indexing makes sense, but no duplicates only makes sense if Access will add data to the text file. If you mean the second, i.e. no changes can be made directly to the text file, I think that is not possible through Access, but perhaps someone else has an idea. Sorry this is not an answer.
    Sean

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sean,
    You are correct in that Access should not be able to change data in the text file. The reason for the No Duplicates is that the data in Access would come from two sources. Either the text file or manually entered in to the table and I can not have duplicate Item#. With that said, I think that I have answered my own question. Let's see if I'm correct. I can't have a linked table where I manually add data along with data from the text file. And if this is true then I need to have the "main" data table in Access, a linked table getting the text data and an Append Query to update the "main" table where people can also manually add data. Very likely I don't really understand the use / operation of a Linked Table. I'll read some more.
    Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Jim,
    I think you did answer your own question. A linked table means the data is stored in whatever it is linked to (in your case, a text file). This means that any records added to the linked table will be added to the text file. You will need a separate table, as you mentioned, to accomplish what you want.
    Sean

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Without a schema.ini file for the text file, it should already be read-only in Access.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sean,
    Thank you for your time. I have much to learn.
    Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte,
    As I said to Sean, I have much to learn.
    Jim