Lounger
    Thanks

New Hard Drive Installation (XP Pro)

I want to install a new hard drive on to my system (20 GB/7200 rpm/WD), however, I have been told by Western Digital that they do not have a program that will migrate my OS and programs from my current primary drive to my new one (They don't support NT OSs for their migration software). I want to use the new one as the primary boot drive because it is faster and larger. I don't want to have to install everything from scratch, seeing as I have quite a few programs and just completed a reformat and installation only 3 weeks ago to make some room.

I would like to do this right the first time. I was told that I may have to use some third party software, if this is so, please inform me of what would be the best for this move/upgrade. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Hard Drive Installation (XP Pro)

That's news to me, every WD drive I've purchased over the last three to four years included Data Lifeguard tools in the bundle, and one of the tools in there was a utility that would copy a hard drive bit for bit, sector for sector, and error for error to the newer, larger drive.

Are you positive that the drive didn't come with that software? It's on a floppy that you boot with, and typically you install both hard drives at the same time, and then remove the older one after the migration. I see on their website that they are saying that they don't support the NT operating systems. Personal opnion of that aside (ahem, NT has been around longer than Win95/98/ME), Partition Magic 7 has a Copy Partition function which works beautifully, and it's a tool that I highly recommend purchasing since it makes managing your disk(s) substantially easier.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Hard Drive Installation (XP Pro)

Yes, I do have the disk that came with the drive, but I had been informed of the issue with NT OSs, so didn't attempt to use it. I do have a copy of Partition Magic, but it's OLD. I will have to upgrade to get the best use of it. I was just trying to do this easier and cheaper.

Thanks for the input!

DIV