Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Printing alignment

I'm using Word 97 at work to create a two-page training document. My problem occurs on page one. At the top of the page, I have two centered lines of text. Below the second line, I used the "Tables and Borders" icon to draw a table that has two columns and one row. The left cell is about one-fourth the width of the right cell. In the left cell, I inserted a line-drawing of an ordinary door key. (I traced around a key onto a sheet of paper and scanned the image.) In the right cell I placed text--just keyed it in directly. On the screen, everything looks lovely: the key and text are sitting in their "cells" just where I want them. However, when I print the page, the image of the key appears above and outside the cell! I've tried printing on two different printers (both HP laser jets, but different models) and two different computers with identical, unacceptable results. I have the same problem on the rest of the page. I have a series of one- or two-line numbered paragraphs, each with 12 pts of space above and 36 pts below. In the empty spaces between the questions, I've inserted a rectangular box. The idea is for a student to write his or her answer inside the box. Again, all elements look great on the screen. When I print, those boxes have moved up to cover all or part of the text above them. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Printing alignment

Sounds as though the image is set to "float above text" rather than being an inline graphic. Since switching to 2000 I have forgotten exactly where you change that, but if you select the graphic, choose Format Picture (or Format Object, as Word something is confused about objects in tables), and check the position tab, you might be able to uncheck Float above text. Hope that does it!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Nope...didn't work. I tried "Format Object," and I see that "Float over text" is checked. I can't uncheck it, as far as I can tell, as it is "grayed out." Thanks for the suggestion, though. Anyone else?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attach a sample doc if you can. I have some ideas, but they are difficult to discuss via a forum.

When anyone has strange issues that this of w/formatting it's best to supply a sample.

Bob_D

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attach a sample doc if you can. I have some ideas, but they are difficult to discuss via a forum.

When anyone has strange issues like this or w/formatting it's best to supply a sample.

Bob_D

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

OK...I'll try attaching a sample. I may have to trim it down to size to fit the 100KB restriction, but I think you'll get the idea. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Interesting that one. It's a floating issue. Select the graphic and unfloat it by cutting and choosing Edit|Paste Special and uncheck the Float Over box.

If you can't select the graphic (because it is sitting behind the table) then the following macro will do it in this example
    Sub Macro2()
    ActiveDocument.Shapes(3).Select
    End Sub

I would also suggest you don't float anything unless you have to. Use table cells for the boxes further down the page as well.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To correct your sample:

Select and cut 'key' graphic
    Set insertion point in left cell, right click
    set alignment to bottom.
    Do: Format/Paragraph
    set line spacing to single (this is important to having the picture pasted properly)
    Do: Edit/Paste Special
    select Picture and uncheck Float over Text box

Next reposition the 2 text boxes so they are below the numbered list entries.

The sample will print preview ok and print as previewed.

The above will generate the attachment.
    It is a float over text issue complicated by formatting.

Bob_D
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It works!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Indeed. Yes, the problem is solved, but I'm glad to get your expert interpretation of the problem. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ceasar:

For what it's worth (seeing that your problem was solved), I'll tell you what I "think" happened to cause it. It's not the "float over text" that was a problem, in & of itself.

The key was pasted into a text box. The textbox & both tables were drawing objects which were grouped. If you show the drawing toolbar, ungroup the objects, the "key" will then print within the table cell. This is true even though the float over text option is still selected.

Of course, then the alignment of the two tables will be off. It appears to me that the key was anchored to one paragraph & the two tables were anchored to another. They were both set to "move with text", each with different "text", however. Then they were grouped. Now Word had to figure out which command to follow (move with the first text or the second). It chose the second, which screwed up the positioning of what had been the first object.

Of course, you would wonder why this didn't show up in the document...[img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]