New Lounger
    Thanks

Email viruses a la GUNINSKI (All)

My solution to the problem of embedded <class ...> tags in Office products raising havoc: I disable all scripting by renaming the file c:winntsystem32WScript.exe to WScriptGene.exe (the path is for WinNT or Win2000).

Any file with my name in it is easily located to rename it back if I must use scripting for a few minutes. I document such moves in a file that I call "System modifications".

My only caution is that when you install new software, it may add WScript.exe back into that directory.

Simple. Draconian. Effective.

Thanks

Re: Email viruses a la GUNINSKI (All)

Apparently not all exploits use that .exe, or I have to restart my computer to make that effective (I did restart IE).

The Guninski demo ran happily even though I renamed WScript.exe to WScriptblahblah.exe. The code it uses appears to use scripting that runs through the IE scripting engine; perhaps this is independent of WScript.exe? The attached sample demonstrates what I mean. Private message me for the password.

Please see my post on the Outlook board for more information.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Or maybe my problem is that no matter how many times I try to rename it, IT KEEPS COMING BACK!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you need to rename the deepest file first - probably in dllcache. see the notepad thread for more info.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mary J is right about dllcache. It has a copy too, and is hit first if you don't delete it. I just plain forgot to say that.

And shame on me for not specifing the environment in which I did my testing. It was last year after I was bitten by the ILOVEYOU virus. I run a rather Microsoft-phobic environment. I use Netscape, not IE, and I use GroupWise, not any Microsoft mailer programs. Still, script viruses are a problem in my environment too, because they use WScript.exe.

It's not good news to learn that Word and Excel execute scripts without WScript.exe.

That was my first post. Now I know enough to dot i's, cross t's. You folks are good.

-----------
    "The last time I took advice, it only worked because I changed it."