2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update (Windows XP)

Suddenly I can't access Windows Update. It comes back that I have to update the Windows Update Software but then won't let me! I have checked that all my security settings are OK and allow ActiveX etc but still no go. And I can't get into the corporate windows catalog which is supposed to be a way around this impasse. Any ideas?

Roger

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Update (Windows XP)

First of all, look is Automatic Security Update Wizard running (it looks like small Windows logo&Globe icon in the System tray in the lower right corner of your screen). If so, follow the wizard (set automatic updates or disable it).
    Then, try to connect manually to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ - it must redirect you to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp - WIndows Update for WinXP website (English version).
    If it will not work, try to add Microsoft to Trusted Sites list. Do do this, open Internet Explorer, from Tools menu click Internet Options, then Security tab, highlight Trusted Sites icon (big green checkmark) and click Sites button. Then type
    http://*.microsoft.com
    in "Add this website..." box and click Add button, then OK, OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nope. That doesn't work. I have checked under Services and it says the Windows Critical Updater is running although there is no icon shown in the system tray. I have fixed the Trusted Sites list as suggested with no result. I have ensured that Zone Alarm lets the Updater through. But I still can't update the Updater software.

Roger

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Open System Properties window pressing Windows and Pause/Break keys simultaneously. Click Automatic Updates tab. Check "Turn off Automatic Updates..." radio button. Click Apply, OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did that but the Windows Update still doesn't work. Whenever I go into it it trys to search my computer for updates then comes back and says my Windows Update software needs to be updated "click here" and when I "click there" it comes up with error message 0x80072F76 saying the installation of the software didn't work which error message I send off to Microsoft with no result.

Roger

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found it!! The culprit was an ad-buster freebie called Proximitron which uses a proxy server. For reasons unknown it stopped the windows updater working and also webshots loading.

Roger