New Lounger
    Thanks

Grab Date/Time From SQL Server (2000)

I've got an Access 2000 frontend linked to an SQL Server database. There are times when I want to insert the current date and time into a record, but I want the current date and time from the SQL Server and not from the user's local computer. Is there an easy way to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grab Date/Time From SQL Server (2000)

You'd have to do it from SQL Server, I think. Depending on what you're trying to do, a trigger on the table might work. Otherwise, a stored procedure should do it.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking in the direction of stored procedures myself, but I'm not overly familiar with them. The problem I see with use one is that I have variable information that would need to be passed to the SP. Can that be done with Access VBA?

Lee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sure, if you set the sp up to accept parameters. If you rummage around in this forum and VB/VBA/.Net, you'll undoubtedly find some examples of passing parameters into SQL Server.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Thanks for the input! It got the ideas flowing and I was able to figure out the answer. :-)

Lee

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We routinely use the SQL GetDate function to get the server Date and Time for tracking changes, and we all use the function suser_name (not sure the name is totally correct) in SQL Server 2000 to capture who made the change. These can simply be set as default values if you are capturing who add the record intitially. Changes will need to be done typically with triggers - you can use Sprocs but they require an Access interface and are a little more cumberson. Triggers happen automatically with no Access involvement. They also apply to things you do at the SQL level, but they are a pain to design and debug. Hope this sheds a bit of added light on the subject.
    Wendell