5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Booking system (2000)

I have a table with a booking date, booking start and end time and a room number. For example, Room A is booked between 10:00 and 11:00 on 12th April. I now need to find if a room is already booked out for the specified date and time. I thought I might build a Find Duplicates query and play around with the SQL, but it looks a bit tricky. Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Booking system (2000)

Let's assume you want to find out if Room A is available on 4/12/02 from 10:00 to 11:00. These data have been entered in text boxes (or combo boxes) on an unbound form frmBooking.

Room A is booked during ate least a part of that period if there is an entry in the bookings table for 4/12/02 with (start before 10:00 AND end after 10:00) OR (start before 11:00 AND end after 11:00).

This leads to a SQL statement like (this is just made up out of air, so there might be typos)

SELECT Count(*) FROM tblBookings
    WHERE Room = Forms!frmBooking!txtRoomID AND Bookdate = Forms!frmBooking!txtBookDate AND ((StartTime < Forms!frmBooking!txtStartTime AND EndTime > Forms!frmBooking!txtStartTime) OR (StartTime < Forms!frmBooking!txtEndTime AND EndTime > Forms!frmBooking!txtEndTime));

If it returns 0, the room is available; if > 0, the room is booked.

In the code behind the form, you might use the WHERE part of this SQL statement in a DCount:

strWhere = "Room = Forms!frmBooking!txtRoomID AND BkDate = Forms!frmBooking!txtBkDate AND ((StartTime < Forms!frmBooking!txtStartTime AND EndTime > Forms!frmBooking!txtStartTime) OR (StartTime < Forms!frmBooking!txtEndTime AND EndTime > Forms!frmBooking!txtEndTime))"

IsBooked = (DCount("*", "tblBooking", strWhere) > 0)

Does this help you on your way?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds excellent. Another tricky question: how would I now build a form that looks like a calendar that blocks out the booked slots. I essentially need to know how I can automatically generate the sequence of times and room numbers and put them in a grid layout. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that building a graphical booking system in Access will be a headache. You might be consider looking for a readymade application, or switching to VB6. Or perhaps Outlook/Exchange?

If you want to do it in Access, you might build on the very incomplete db I attached. It 's a long way from what you want to accomplish, but it might give you some ideas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's no reason it should be harder in Access than in VB. At least the database connection is simpler in Access.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It seems to me that one of Alison Balter's books has a fairly detailed example of a booking system - I don't remember the title, and may have the author wrong, but I'm sure I've seen one. There a quite a few complications in such systems - many of the commercial products out there are a wee bit flakey too. But check out some of the samples. Hope this helps,
    Wendell