Star Lounger
    Thanks

RTF formatting in tasks, etc (2000)

You know how notes fields in tasks, appointments and contacts, can accept direct rtf formatting such as bold and italic? Well, I've noticed that if you import text from Word with certain formatiting in it then that formatting often can't be removed.

For example, trying copying a Word paragraph with text at 1.5 line spacing and extra paragraph spacing on the beginning or end. When you paste this text into the Outlook Task/Appt/Contact notes field, the formatting is preserved perfectily, but just can't be edited!

Or am I wrong? Darned if I can find a way of editing it. Is there a way, short of copying again back to a Word document, reformatting and then copying it back to the notes field?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RTF formatting in tasks, etc (2000)

if you right click on it, do you get edit options? also, are you pasting it as an object or as text? the options available on the right click menu should give you a clue.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm pasting it as text. Here's an example: Format a couple of paragraphs in Word to have double line spacing, and an extra 12pt spacing at the top of the lower paragraph. Now cut both paragraphs and paste them into the notes field of a task.

If your Outlook 2000 behaves like mine, then the line and paragraph spacing will be preserved, as will the fonts. However, now try to reformat the paragraph spacing. You can't, see? Right-clicking on the text is no use. The only right-click paragraph option is alignment and bullets. You can change line spacing, but not paragraph spacing.

There are one or two other oddities which I can't remember just now, but which exist. This is a bit of a nuisance, because I often paste Word-formatted text into task notes fields.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It seems to happen in notes fields in Contacts as well. And another piece of formatting that I've found can't be altered is character formatting, in particular 'All Caps' and 'Small Caps'. There may be others - but I want to spend my time looking for a way to remove it, rather than finding it!