New Lounger
    Thanks

font substitution

I'm having a problem with Macromedia Director modules and Windows 2000/XP. When restricted users log on and try to access our CD based Director stuff the users don't see the beautiful fonts we've embedded. They get other fonts substituted.
    We've discovered why this is happening (on start up, the Director modules try to decompress a temporary copy of the fonts into the windows/system folder, and the restricted users don't have access to this folder) and there's not much we can do about this. We create material for school environments, and the Macromedia work around ('instruct users to log on as administrator or power user') is not something that works in the real world.
    Our short term solution to the above is to go back to standard Arial/Times New Roman/Verdana sort of font set, which is less than exciting.
    Okay, so what I want to know is not what to do about this problem (tho' any insight would be useful) but rather how font subtitution works on Windows. If we use a particular font in our module and the user doesn't have this installed, what font does Windows display? What rules does it use to decide what font to substitute? Is it alphabetical? Random? Based on shoe size? If we know the rules, we can keep in mind the probable subtitution when designing.

Michael Pryor

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: font substitution

Control Panel | Fonts | View | List fonts by similarity...
    Your fonts will be substituted by the first available fonts on the list; if your fonts marked as "No Panose information available", it will be substituted by default fonts (whatever is used on blank document).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: font substitution

Kaplinb, thanks heaps. This is just the information I need.
    Much appreciated,
    Michael Pryor