New Lounger
    Thanks

Reading a PST file without Outlook (2000)

Folks:
    Like many people, I use Outlook as a way to store and organize information. I took my PST file from a previous job with me, expecting to be able to use it when I arrived at my next job. To my surprise the new job had GroupWise (a Novell product) and I was left unable to view and use my email and attached documents in my PST file. When I install Outlook on the computer at my new job, it does very unpredictable things when interfacing with the mail servers (this may be the wrong term) and the support folks have urged me to reconsider my decision to try to run GroupWise and Outlook2000 concurrently. My experience shows that they couldn't be more correct.
    Question: Is there any third party software that allows you to read a PST file as though you were in Outlook? I don't need any mail creation or sending function, just the ability to browse, read, and view attachments. The dream here is some freeware that allows browsing of the PST file but doesn't try to access the mail server and is fairly basic in terms of what it allows you to do.

Thanks for your ideas

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reading a PST file without Outlook (2000)

Have you tried exporting your pst file to a format compatible with importation into Groupwise?

Regards,

Dan

Thanks

Re: Reading a PST file without Outlook (2000)

If you don't tell Outlook about the Groupwise server, and run it just to access the PST, does it still interfere with the Groupwise client?

If you don't find an existing third party solution, you can, of course, automate Outlook from other Office applications and from Visual Basic. However, you undoubtedly will find that much more of a PITA than using Outlook directly, not to mention all the time spent programming, and you'll still need to have Outlook on the machine.