Thread: Editing Time?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Editing Time?

Can anyone tell me how Miscrosoft Word 97 calculates the "total editing time" value for a document, as displayed in File/Properties/Statistics? I can't tell whether it is supposed to represent simply the total amount of time that the document has been open, or whether it only records time during which keys have been pressed, or time during which text has been added/deleted etc.

Bob W

Re: Editing Time?

By going to File Properties Statistics, and using the ? tool, I found this when clicking on the Total Editing time line.

Number of minutes that the file has been open for making changes since it was created.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the pointer -- that's how I thought it would be supposed to work, but it doesn't seem to work quite like that. I haven't been able to work out what it is actually doing, but the editing timer doesn't seem to run steadily from the time a new document is created, or an existing document is opened, until it is closed -- I am wondering if it is (intended to be) doing something different when no keystrokes are being entered?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you aware that the clock is reset if you do a File|Save As to the file?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>Are you aware that the clock is reset if you do a File|Save As to the file?

If an existing File1 is saved as a new File2, then logically the editing time of File2 is set initially at zero -- but the editing time of File2 is not reset to zero.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, I made a typo -- I meant: If an existing File1 is saved as a new File2, then logically the editing time of File2 is set initially at zero -- but the editing time of File1 is not reset to zero.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Murgatroyd:

Just to let you in on a little secret. Above your own posts, you'll find an icon to "edit this post". That means that you can make mistakes & correct them without ever having to admit it.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]