2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quick Books (97 SP2)

Does anyone have experience with QuickBooks. I would like to enter data in Excel and send the data to Quick Books when I come back to the office. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quick Books (97 SP2)

Hi Cecil,

First, determine if Quickbooks has an import procedure (probably under File menu). If affirmative, determine what format the import file must be. Maybe CSV or another type of ASCII file. Different file layouts may be required for different types of import, eg customer records, journal entries, etc.

Once you know what the import file must look like, you can design what data you must capture in Excel (using an Excel form perhaps). When you have the data on a sheet, set the data range and (using a VBA macro), step through the rows in the range and write the data to the text file in the required format and data sequence.

This is the method I use to import data into our accounting app (not QB) from external systems, like Access, Excel etc. I use CSV, DBF and Fixed Width etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot find anything for free, but checkout OfficeQ as well as other add-ins at blocktax.com. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Getting transaction data in or out of Quickbooks from another source (e.g., Excel) isn't trivial. The best suggestion I have is to EXPORT data from QB, then take a look at all of the codes Intuit places in the resulting file. If you mimic all of the header info, etc., etc., you "might" be successful. I've done it a few times and it's a pain, but it can be done.

Thanks

I found the following article in the support section at www.quickbooks.com, and that led to two others which appear to provide a way to build the import file in Excel if you follow a predefined format:

Transferring information from another financial program into QuickBooks
    "If you have been using another financial software product, you can import information from that product into QuickBooks if the product allows you to export to a spreadsheet or text file. You can import lists that correspond to individual transactions, budgets and QuickBooks lists. To transfer transaction data from another product, the data must be in an IIF file format."

IIF (Intuit Interchange Format) files
    "An .iif file is a tab-delimited or comma-delimited text file, based on the Intuit Interchange Format, used to import and export data in QuickBooks."

Sample IIF files for individual transactions
    "To view and edit the files, use a spreadsheet application that supports a tab-delimited format (Microsoft Excel is the recommended program to use to edit an .iif file)."

If this doesn't do it, you might ask Intuit to publish a specific article on how to do what you want to do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the answers. Looks like all I need to do is find the data model for Quick Books and the rest is a no-brainer.