Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

SUPRESS Retrive New Messages (Outlook 97)

Is there any way I can tell Outlook97 to absolutely, never, ever ever ever again retrieve new message headers?

I want to use Outlook as the vehicle for emitting Word97 mail-merge messages, but I want to continue using Eudora as my primary email vehicle.

I get scared when Outlook (or anything else) takes it into its head to run off and do business that I expressly don't want it to do, and it bugs me to have to wait while it performs the futile task of grabbing headers to emails that I replied & trashed as long as a month ago.

The Remote Connection Wizard isn't too smart at this, either. It will let me disable the option, but then refuses to allow me to go forward.

For VBE reasons I'm contemplating installing OffixeXP, so if that is an option, I'm receptive to suggestions.

Thanks

Re: SUPRESS Retrive New Messages (Outlook 97)

Leave the pop server name blank or change it to doesnotexist.xyz?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Leave the pop server name blank or change it to doesnotexist.xyz?

Blank causes an error, and a dummy does.not.exist causes a 60-second hang. I can't find where to reduce the hang.

It's an annoyance that one can't just un-click the check box. I can think of at least one valid reason for wanting to send and not check incoming : I'm doing some work on your machine and want to email a report to myself, but don't want (nor do you want me to) to see anything at all about your incoming.

Thanks

Long time since I've seen the Services/Properties dialogs for 97, but in 2000, there is a tab that has a time-out setting, the same tab where you indicate whether you want to leave a copy of your messages on the server.