New Lounger
    Thanks

Updated older DLLs with Package & Deployment setup (VBA 6)

(also posted in the Access forum)
    This is, perhaps, a stupid question but....

It was my impression that the Package & Deployment wizard would take any needed DLLs for my application (msado.dll, msadox.dll, and msjro.dll for example) and include them with my package. Indeed, it appears to do so.

HOWEVER, when I install that package on a system with OLDER versions of the same dlls, my new dlls are NOT installed, and my app goes down in flames. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

If not, any advice? If so, any better products out there that solve this problem?

Thanks much

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updated older DLLs with Package & Deployment setup (VBA 6)

Here's the link to the crosspost in Access. Since it isn't necessary to have both these threads active, I'm posting a link in both and locking the Access thread.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Over in the Access forum, Charlotte asked "Are you sure they're older versions? "

Well, the existing DLLs are:

msadox.dll ver 2.52.6019.1
    msjro.dll ver 2.52.6019.1

In the distribution package are

msadox.dll ver 2.70.7713.0
    msjro.dll ver 2.70.7713.0

so I *think* the package ones should overwrite the existing installed ones....

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you are probably caught in the MDAC trap. At least the msadox.dll is a part of the MDAC, and some strange things have happened there. For one thing, it appears you cannot update MDAC components unless you install a later version of the MDAC. And then you can't uninstall and reinstall an older version (unless you reformat your hard drive and start over)! Hopefully someone with more experience than the painful part that we have had can provide more illumination on the subject.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I hope I don't have to do anything that drastic. The app is supposed to run (of course) on corporate machines for which it would be the tail trying to wag the dog to get a package upgrade, even MDAC (who knows what else might break...)

BUT - further investigation reveals that Setup is copying the dlls, but it is copying them to a different place and they are not getting registered.

The old DLLs are in
    crogram filescommon filessystemado
    while the updated files are put in
    c:windowssystem32

Apparently, the new versions are not getting registered, perhaps because they're in the "wrong" place. They are marked as DLLSelfRegister in Setup1.lst

If I register them manually, the app works fine. Should I just include a batch file that does that in the setup and run it at the end? Is there a way for my batch file to know where $(WinSysPath) is - that's where the dlls are ending up.

Perhaps there's light at the end of the tunnel after all. Why do I feel a breeze in my face? <g>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, your best option is to get a different installer. The PDW is failure-prone and difficult to control. Wise or InstallShield have superior products (although, they are not free, of course) that allow you to use SageKey scripts to fine tune the installations. Using one of those products would eliminate the need for the batch file.
    Charlotte