Star Lounger
    Thanks

This Recordset is not updateable (A2KSR1)

I am trying to debug and use an application that has been used for two years. The application tracks inmates from a large county jail who need outside healthcare. There is a module for updating the cost of the bills from the invoices after the care has been done but I keep getting the This Recordset is not updateable when I try to put in any data. The previous operator was importing the files via excel but that option is no longer available to me. What can cause the query to show the above and more importantly; how can I fix it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: This Recordset is not updateable (A2KSR1)

If your module is running a query, open the query in design view and look at >>>properties >>>Recordset type. If it

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are a number of things that could cause this, but it isn't clear where the error is occurring. Where exactly are you seeing this? If it is in the status bar at the bottom of the Access window when you're in a form, it means that the query underlying your form is not updateable. If this application has been in use, then something has changed, probably the underlying query.

One thing that could make the query not updateable is having Unique Values set to true, another is not having the necessary keys and required fields from all the tables in the query actually in the recordset.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have been researching this issue in regard to similar problems of my own. Charlotte's answer kind of pointed the way, but my situation is fairly complex -- replacing a two-table joined query that worked fine (was updateable) with a four-table query that was not. My problem was not due to unique values/records or Snapshot, or the other things mentioned. I am still looking for an optimal solution, but trial and error (mostly error) has shed some light, which I wish to pass to others. So many folks have helped me here in the past, I think it only fair to pass this along.

My problem is not that it is a four-table join, but the relationships I have locked into these tables. For instance, a simple two-table join did not work for me in my trials; it was because in the relationships, there was a table that should have been placed between the two. I was trying to edit in a many-to-many relationship that violated my own rules. Access will not let us circumvent our own rules!

I cleared that up and continued my trials, and errors. I discovered that I was essentially creating a circular relationship in these four tables -- also not good! I will continue to try to figure out how to create a solution, given these restrictions, but at least I understand now why I could not go down this path.

I hope it helps for anyone else trying to get as fancy as I am.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi JailAdmin

Adding to Charlottes comments, if the record source is based on query that has group by, this could give same message.

This bit me today.

HTH

John