Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dotted Underlines (2000)-MULTI-Dotted Underlines (2000)

I'm wanting to fill some table cells with lines like:
    Name .................................................. ....
    ID .................................................. ...........
    Group .................................................. ....

These dotted underline "trailers" I'd like to extend right to the right hand border of each cell. I'd also like any content (probably a field) to appear underlined in the same way:

Name Jo Blo.............................................
    (but with Jo Blo dotted underlined too).

Can anyone suggest how to achieve this effect please? I suspect it may be to do with tab settings, but can't figure it.

thanks

Alan

Thanks

Re: Dotted Underlines (2000)-MULTI-Dotted Underlines (2000)

Right you are! You can either define a style with a right-tab-with-dot-leader or apply tab formatting directly. If the tab runs beyond the width of the cell, it should make no difference because Word should neither display nor print it. But if that turns out to be a problem, you can set the right tab to the width of the cell.

Also, you probably know, you press Ctrl+Tab rather than Tab to tab inside a table cell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Guys:
    I agree, but the only time that setting the tab beyond the width of the cell would create a problem is if Tables/Properties/Table tab/Options/Automatically resize to fit contents is checked. I'd recommend not using that setting, anyway.

Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

A few questions on the solution.

Given the original issue of typing some material at the left side of the cell and filling the cell to the right with dots, why does it matter what type of tab stop is used at the right edge of the cell? From what I understood, Alan is not going to type anything at the right edge. I always think of the leader as what gets filled up to the first character typed at the tab stop (like in "comes before").

Also Alan asked to underline some of the text. It turns out, at least on my Word 97 machine here at home, that the dots for underlining come out a little lower (looks like 1-2 points) than the dots of the dotted leader. If you have both on (underlining with dots and dotted leaders), you get:
    - the underlining dots for the underlined words
    - a double set of dots when you hit the tab unless you turn "underdotting" off after the words but then you get 1 set of dots higher than the other.

Two solutions suggest themselves to me:
    1. use the dotted underline (as part of a character style or not) and set a tab (any kind) at the right edge of the cell but with a blank leader. With "underdotting" on, type the name jo blo and hit tab. The name and the tab will be "underdotted".
    2. set a tab (any kind) at the right edge of the cell with a dotted leader. After typing the name with the underdotting, turn off underdotting. Add a field to move down vertically 1-2 points (need to play with this) if you want the dots to line up. Hit tab. Probably no need to move back up the 1-2 points so that any subsequent text is aligned with the previous text.

Frankly, I'd go with solution 1.

Fred

Thanks

Re: Dotted Underlines (2000)

Well, clearly I did not read the original post carefully enough. Your Solution #1:

> 1. use the dotted underline (as part of a character style or not) and set a tab (any kind) at the right edge of the cell but
    > with a blank leader. With "underdotting" on, type the name jo blo and hit tab. The name and the tab will be "underdotted".

appears to be the best solution. Some notes:

1. <LI>It seems best to create a paragraph style for the cells that sets a regular left or right tab (no dot leader) at the desired distance, and which does not have the dotted underlining, and a character style that adds the dotted underlining that can be applied to everything after the "field name" to the left (including the data entered and the trailing tab).

<LI>If the table cells have borders, it would be nice to add a few points of space below the contents to set off the dots from the table cell borders. This could be done as Space After in the custom paragraph style for these cells.

<LI>The underline dots are not as fine as the dots used as tab leaders, but I don't see any easy way to use the lighter dots without making a mess out of the formatting.[/i]
    Thanks for jumping in.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dotted Underlines (2000)

Jefferson - all points agreed. I think the character style with the dotted underlining is very useful here since I overlooked the label. This makes applying the underdotting simpler.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dotted Underlines (2000)-MULTI-Re: Dotted Underlines (2000

Thank you to all for the input on this one. One thing I didn't stipulate in the original is the need for uniformity in the underlining. It didn't occur to me that, effectively, 2 different styles are involved with underdotting and dotted tab spacings.

The "wish" is to have the fillin text (such as the Jo Blo, after the Name field label) to appear as if it's been typed into an empty "dotted" field space, as it might be when filling in a paper-based form. It seems that the custom style is most appropriate here to provide this effect.

Thanks again

Alan