4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

database relationships (Access 2000)

I want just to verify whether my database relationships are constructed in the proper way.
    I have the usual tables prescriptions, particulars , medicines
    The tables prescriptions contains prescriptionid as an unique number.
    The table particulars contains the fields prescriptionid as a number with primary key and medicineid as a number with primary key.
    So i have 2 primary keys and no unique number in the table Particulars
    My question is have i related the table prescriptions and the table particulars in the right way?I am not allowed to have one to many relationship and the kind of relationships in the dialog box is shown to be indeterminate and i have chosen the Join Propeties as
    "Include all records from

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: database relationships (Access 2000)

I'm assuming your "medicines" table is your master drug table, containing a record for each drug. I don't know what "Particulars" is, however, unless it is a table that shows which drugs where prescribed for a particular Rx? That is, a prescription might be for 1 or more drugs (if a compound).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply.My main table is Presription, and Particulars gives more details about the prescription.Medicine contains the drugs.Could you pleased tell me is it all right that i have 2 compound
    fields in the particulars and that the link between prescitpion and particulars cannot be one to many

Thank in in advance

Best regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is MedicineID? It isn't clear what you're trying to achieve so it's hard to give you a good answer. Is a prescription for a single medication? Do the "particulars" apply to the prescription or to one part of the medication in the prescription? It sounds like you're trying for a join table here (i.e., prescription to Medicine , many to many) but haven't quite got it right.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I still don't understand what the "Particulars" table is, and why it can't be the "many" side of a one-to-many with the Prescription table. Maybe you could illustrate with an example?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.