New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with graphics and text boxes (Office XP / Win 2000 Pro)

I have several docs that contain a test box followed by text data. I want to move the text
    box to the top left corner of the doc and insert a photo along side it on the right hand side
    and have remaining text below . The text box cintains some formatting that I need to retain.
    I tried Word and had a lot of trouble. I am currently trying to get this to work using WOPR.
    On the surface this does not seem like it should be so hard to do. Can anyone tell me how
    to do this easily . Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with graphics and text boxes (Office XP / Win 2000 Pro)

Hi Jake:
    I only have Word 97 available right now. It would be helpful to know what's happening rather than just "having a lot of trouble". The dialog box may be slighly different in 2000. Even if the text box is floating, as opposed to inline, you should be able to drag the boxes where you want them. You can insert the graphic in a text box also.

1. Then select them by clicking the border (which will then appear as a mesh with empty square handles).
    2. Right click & choose Format Text Box...
    3. Click the Position tab.
    4. Untick "move object with text" & change the vertical position which might say "from paragraph" to "from page (or margin)". But make note of the measurement first.
    5. Go to the wrapping tab & make sure that it's "top & bottom" & click OK.

Note: With Word 97, I found I had to redo the measurement on the Position tab twice. It didn't "take" the first time & the text box moved.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil
    Sorry I didn't provide more details. My thinking is that this should be so simple that it's just my lack of expertise and
    overall obtuseness that is stymying me. Basically I have a formatted text box (some lines centered). I can move that to the upper left hand corner easily by clicking on it and dragging it over there and dropping it. Then I attempt ito insert
    a photo (.jpg). to the right of the text box in the upper right hand corner

Text Box Photo

more text data

I experienced a multitude of problems trying to move the photo over to the right hand side. There did not seem to
    be a way to get the cursor over there so that I could drop the jpg file.
    I finally got around this by cutting the text to the clipboard and deleting the text box entirely.
    I then inserted the jpg file. resized it, moved it to the right hand corner and then reinserted the
    text box to the left and pasted the text back in. I'm sure there are easier ways to accomplish.
    I was just hoping that since I don't know Word very well, someone would say "hey dummy, just do this and
    that!!!" I mean, people must do this every day. Seems like it should be simple enough, no?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jake:
    OK. If I understand you correctly, you just inserted a picture & then tried to move it to the right corner. The picture was inserted inline, meaning it acts just like a single character on a line (a rather large character).

You can do two things.
    1. Insert a blank textbox & then insert the picture inside. Then move it.
    2. Even better...insert the picture, then select it, & put a frame around it. I don't remember where the InsertFrame command is on a brand new install, as I added the command to my insert menu.

If you can't find a way to Insert a frame, post back.

Thanks

Personally, I would do this with a two-cell, borderless table. However, there may be special properties of a TextBox that you cannot emulate with a table cell. If so, never mind.