Thread: Rules Wiz

New Lounger
    Thanks

Rules Wiz

Does anyone know how to use the rules wizard to find specific text in a "html" or "rtf" e-mail? i can detect all sorts of stuff in the plain text messages that i receive but other than that, i have to wade through hundreds of e-mails per day. It's driving me nuts.

Thanks in adv.
    dr.x

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules Wiz

try ExLife (www.ornic.com) if rules wizard can't find text in the body of messages. Can you filter on something else?
    (Or did you mean advanced find?)

New Lounger
    Thanks

i'm on a tight budget right now and i was hoping that Outlook 2k would have the capability already built in. I can't filter on something else as the messages come from different senders everyday and subject line is almost never the same. I can't use advanced find either. i need to add new rules constantly then export them to a file, e-mail them to about 100 people, and have them import them into their own OL2K client. (i'll probably have automate that too.) To use the ExLife, i would have to buy the world wide license witch is over $800. i just don't have it right now.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

is everyone using outlook2000? you can try using vba. or write your own addin, then distribute the addin instead of sending out new rules all the time. (i admit i don't even understand why you need to send rules to 100 other people)
    Constantly creating new rules defeats the purpose of using rules - is there any way you can make the subject line identical? If the messages are from a webform, for example. Or filter on something in the header?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

oh - one more thing - have you tried using views to show only the mail you're trying to filter? views can't be sent around like rules can - although any view filter could be recreated as an advanced find and that could be saved and emailed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, every one is using OL2K. I think your idea of using VBA is probably the best. I should clarify, i don't "change" the rules, i just have to "add" more to the existing rules. The subject is different because the the origin is different. I wish it WERE a webform. the headers are always different also. That's ok, for some reason, i never even considered VBA until you mentioned it. It is a VERY good idea. Thank you. I think you just solved my problem unless VBA can't read into the html or rtf body of the message.

Dr.X

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried the advanced find using copy and past of a snip out of an existing html message body. Strange but true, it didn't find the message. hmmm...that's ok, i'm going to try your vba idea. (ok, now to learn some vba...)

Thanks,
    Dr.X