Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat my HD (Win XP Pro)

I have win xp Pro and it's set as NTFS. I want to reformat it. What do I do. Plus I want to partiton it. I know that I will lose all my data, it's ok, I have everything saved. Can I use FDISK. I know how to use it from win 98. I have a full version of win XP Pro. I just want to be safe before I format. Any suggestions. TIA.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformat my HD (Win XP Pro)

You can use FDISK the same way as in Win98 (and from WIn98 boot disk also).
    To create partitions, you can do it (a) during Windows installation process or ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] from inside Windows XP, if you leave some unpartitioned (unallocated) space during the installation.

However, I would recommend to use PowerQuest Partition Magic to create and destroy partitions, resize them "on the fly" without loosing any data and do many other things.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I already have all my data backed up. I don't care if I lose any info. It doesn't matter that I have XP set as NTFS. I can partition with no problem?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can certainly partition with no problem. If you plan to install XP, though, why not let the XP setup program do the dirty work for you?

Also, keep in mind that FDISK doesn't understand NTFS partitions, so you may have trouble working with it. It *will* work, but I have found it much simpler to go with PM, as Kaplin suggests, or to let the XP setup program partition and format my drives.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok don't understand. I can use my cd to format? how? I tried to fdisk and it did not let me delete the primary partition. You see I have 80 gig harddrive. I want to set up 40 on c: and 40 on d: half in half. Can you help me on how to do this. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The option to format and partition will be available if you boot with the CD. Part of the setup routine is to check your hard drives for errors and to display the partition information. When it displays the partition information, you can delete/create partitions and format them as well. This won't work if you have run setup from within Windows, since it copies the setup files to the hard drive first.

Try booting with the CD - it should actually be painless, the setup program is very well done.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks. So let me make sure I cleary understand. I shutdown, then boot from cd. Then what? What will come up. What will I see. I'm sorry, I just want to get this done right? Thanks
    I tried. I installed cd, booted from cd. Then I recieve options. Do I now go thur setup. Will setup give my options to partition and format? I cant use recovery because it says that i'm missing a file for my keyboard.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll see a blue background with light gray text that first loads several things into memory. It then welcomes you to setup, presents the license agreement, and asks a few questions. Among those questions are the layout of your hard drive, and the directory that you want to install in.

Some systems require you to press a key to boot from CD when they start, so watch the screen carefully.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok great. Thanks. Here I go. I will update you I guess later on this afternoon after I have installed my xp pro. thank you so much for your help. Very kind of you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok. i did it. I installed xp pro and couldn't find a way to partition it. How can I create another partition. Right now I have 80 gigs. I want to change from 80 gigs to 40 gigs on drive C, and 40 gigs on drive D. Now what do I do. Thanks, again really appreciate the help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmm....if you booted from the CD you should have been given an option to create a partition. Now that it's all said and done, if you have one 80GB partition, you'll need to use a tool like PartitonMagic - money well spent, you will find. I may be mistaken but I don't believe there is any way to create a new partition on the system drive otherwise.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unless I am mistaken, fdisk will NOT remove an NTFS partition. The best way to completely remove it is with a "clean" boot disk and then use a utility called "delpart." Doing a search on internet will usually find it. It is small and free. It can go on the boot disk.
    If you cannot find it email me and I'll email it back. It is small enough to email.
    FYI: delpart will remove almost any partition.

Allan Papkin apapkin@cox.rr.com

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Never used delpart, myself. And it appears there is a trojan bhy the same name, which I was unaware of. You may interested in reading the MS article How to Manually Remove Windows NT or Windows 2000 (Q103049). Microsoft also recommends delpart.exe as an option to remove NTFS partitions.

Here are a few links to get you going, courtesy Google and TweakCentral:

Direct download (mirror)
    http://www.coxpc.com/delpart.zip

As part of a Microsoft Resource Kit, direct from their site:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winn...i386/reskit.exe</A>
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by WyllyWylly on 16-Apr-02 15:52.</P>My system is up and running great. Thanks alot for the help. I used Partion Magic 7.0 to create my partition. It worked great. I just finished testing my system at http://www.pcpitstop.com. Everthing was perfect. Not a single problem. Again thank you all.