Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delayed Autoreply (2000)

Hi,

Can anyone help me set up a standard autoreply to incoming email messages but have the autoreply delayed by several hours before it is sent? I think I understand how to use a template with the Ouf-of-Office Assistant wizard - but don't know how to delay the sending. Or maybe there's another approach altogether that I've not thought of.

Thanks very much.

Wyley Powell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delayed Autoreply (2000)

I know that you can have the reply email delayed until a specified date/time, but I don't know if you can adjust the time to 3 hours after the message was received.

To delay the reply, go into the Rules Wizard, and select "Have server reply using a specific message." When you click on the words "specific message" on the bottom, it'll open a new blank email message for you to fill out. Go to View-Options inside that message and you can set the date and time.

Maybe this will get you started down the right path. I hope this helps at least a little.

Becky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

do you have access to the exchange 5.5 resource kit or BORK? (back office resource kit) there is a utility that allows all mail to have a delayed send. not sure if it works on the OOA though, since that is server side.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this suggestion. I had actually already tried it but ran into a problem, i.e., Outlook lets me delay the message until a specific time (e.g., April 17m 2002, 3:15 pm) but I see no way to indicate an interval such as 3 hours. I may need to go to 3rd party software.

Again, my thanks.
    Wyley

Star Lounger
    Thanks

May 24. I'm returning to this project after a long break. As said earlier, I'd like to be able to send an automatic reply after a specified interval (e.g., 120 minutes). I've discovered that, in the Rules Wizard, if I use "Check messages after sending," one of the options is "defer delivery by a number of minutes." That's what I was looking for - but I don't see an option for selecting a standard reply when I follow this route.

I also turned to Out of Office Assistant, then clicked Add a Rule. Here I can select a template (.oft) containing the standard reply but the delay-send option (View > Options) is to delay until a specific date and time (e.g., May 25, 10:00 am) rather than by a certain number of minutes. It looks as if I've found part of my solution in the Rules Wizard and the other part in the Out of Office Assistant but I can't combine them.

Suggestions/ help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Wyley

Thanks

Did you get an answer to this? I'm using search for something else and noticed this - sounds interesting.

I wrote some VB programs that send mail but I want to delay the send. I ended up coding the 'delay until' part with the current time plus 30 mins. Maybe a VBA approach in outlook will give you the combination you are looking for.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"