New Lounger
    Thanks

Locking (Access 2K)

Hi,

I have a database created accross a network. The default record locking has been set up as Edited Record. The problem is that when user X is in the database the others can't use the same form as user X they are being locked even though they are editing different records to User X. Is there any reason for this happening. I don't want to have no locking does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank You

Ian.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locking (Access 2K)

You don't have something set up properly, but it is difficult, if not impossible, to guess what it might be form your description. I would suspect that you have the database set for page rather than row locking, and that means that a small table, or one with only a few fields in it can lock other users out of many more than a single record. I don't see why you don't want no locks, since it is by far the most flexible way to manage the situation. A record is still locked prior to being written, but it isn't locked before then, which is when most of your collisions occur.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I discovered what my problem is on the Microsoft Website. it seems that even if you set record locking to your database but open it via a windows shortcut or by clicking the .mdb file it defaults to page locking. The solution is to make sure the first instance of the database in a multiuser environment is opened via Microsoft Access and then use either the open existing file option in the startup MSAccess dialog box or the Open command on the file menu to open the database.

Regards
    Ian.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's useful information. It didn't occur to me that you might be using shortcuts and I had forgotten it made a difference, since row level locking was only introduced with Access 2000.
    Charlotte