New Lounger
    Thanks

Files seem to expand in XP (Word 2002 on XP)

I have been working in Word 2000 on two large documents (2.5 M and 8 M) at work and am now transferring them back and forth from work to my home system which has Word XP on Win XP. The files seem to have no problems going back and forth except that the size bumps up by almost double when saved on the XP machine (to 3.5+M and 17 M). I haven't heard anyone else complaining about this "phenomenon" and thought I'd ask if anyone knew what was being saved in all that extra space.... When I bring the files back to the 2000 system, they magically shrink again. Any logic to this?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Files seem to expand in XP (Word 2002 on XP)

Definitely check to make sure that Word 2002 (XP) is not set to Allow Fast Saves. Other than that, nothing springs to mind.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fast saves are (and have been) off. I learned that one long ago...

The "expansion" doesn't seem to have any effect on the file, at least none that I can detect. I'm just surprised that no one else is seeing this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

FWiW, I just opened two documents created with Word 98 in Word XP, made trivial edits, and saved them. One expanded from 149K to 152K, the other from 225K to 247K. Noticeable but nothing like you saw.

I wonder if it is feature related. For example, XP added support for nested tables so maybe all tables take up more space. Just a guess.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the test. I worked with the style and formatting tools a lot when I first opened the files, as well as inheriting a lot of tracked changes that are now cleaned out of the manual. Nothing seems to affect the size change. Doesn't increase or decrease it. I just completed cleaning out the thousands of bad bookmarks (ooh my aching finger) and that made no change either. Not sure what else to look at...

Thanks

Are there any embedded objects, like "Platform independent bitmaps"? Any GIF or JPG images? Word does so much stuff behind the scenes with wrappers and converters... it's possible that something changed between 2000 and 2002...

In properties, are you saving a preview picture? Sometimes helps to uncheck that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Next time you need to delete loads of bookmarks, spare you finger and just run this macro:

Public Sub DeleteBookmarks()
    Dim i As Long
    For i = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Count To 1 Step -1
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(i).Delete
    Next 'i
    End Sub

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried deleting all TOC bookmarks in a smaller document before I launched into my client's tomes. I wasn't able to generate a TOC afterward. Just wouldn't do it...even deleting all traces of the old one and moving the table to another location in the doc. So I carefully deleted only the ones I knew were useless.

I'm not good with macros (yet). Does the one you supplied me eliminate just the "useless" ones? (I see the word "Active" in there.) Did my earlier experiment just hit a bad doc somehow? I did see the macro (actually one similar) that told me I could erase all TOC bookmarks and then regenerate. It just didn't work in my experiment...and I haven't had time to "play" since then.

Thanks for the reply!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The macro should eliminate all bookmarks; it won't distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' ones. I didn't glean from the previous posts that you were working with a TOC, and am not sure what you are trying to do.
    If you're deleting bookmarks in the effort to reduce the file size, I wouldn't bother - bookmarks are very lightweight and deleting them probably won't reduce the file size much.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

One of the files is a 550 page reference manual, the other is 300 pages of API documentation. Both have TOCs that are over 10 pages, plus extensive tables of figures and tables, as well as indexing and lots of cross-references. I couldn't get the files to PDF (Acrobat) under XP (fine under 2000). Still can't. All my looking on the web for Acrobat issues came up with cleaning out the bookmarks...so I did.

The two files have been very unstable (crashing Word often - both 2000 and XP). I've been cleaning like crazy - style consolidation (but that is definitely a problem in XP), removing all tracked changes, deleting bad bookmarks, eliminating master document use, etc. Everything I know that has caused me pain in the past. (I inherited these documents, so I don't know if they were actually stable at one time. They were a mess when I got them.) And it has helped. But they still expand and contract when they go from 2000 at work to XP at home. This alone has not caused any discernable crashes or internal data integrity problems. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to open the file. sometimes it's quicker, but the data seems fine on open. Crashing seems to occur after long edit sessions (either system), even though the file is saved on Auto-save and by me regularly using the save command. When recovered, last changes are usually there, but some other LARGE inconsistency comes in too. We've had styles all convert to Normal, we've had all Figures become Tables, then on the next repair followed by crash to go the other way...all Tables become Figures, bullets and numbering are all fouled up, and for some reason my heading levels are always displaying different number formats no matter how many times I repair them. In the API doc, I had to create my own heading styles (not based on Word's headings) to clear up the problems (and it's been stable since. The other document's changes are nits compared to what I went through with the API doc.). It's all very disconcerting...

As you can see, I would have lots of questions if I didn't know some of Word's old quirks. I'm trying to handle as many of them as I can (as quickly as I can) and was just puzzled with the file expansion. Thought it must have an explanation and that I wasn't the first person to encounter it...but maybe I am. As long as it doesn't affect my content, it can grow as it pleases...