Thread: Winmail.dat

dhobbs

Winmail.dat

Periodically, recipients of emails from me report that the document I had attached is missing and instead they have winmail.dat which they cannot open. I eventually found this described (to an extent) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as a known 'feature' applying only users who have the coporate setting of Outlook. However, it seems also to affect me even though I have the Internet-only setting of Outlook.

The MS solution is to send to such people using plain text, but of course it is impossible to know in advance whether this downgrading is needed for any particular recipient until they report back, which is not particularly satisfactory.

Has anyone else found any better way around this irritating and apparently arbitrary conversion of the file I actually want to send into a form unreadable by my intended recipeints?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Winmail.dat

the way around it is to use plain text or html. RTF format causes the winmail.dats and if the other party doesn't use Outlook, they are going to get a winmail.dat everytime.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hey! I feel useful now that I have an answer for something and not just a question. My grand parents had the same problem. (I think everyone should have to teach 70+ yr olds how to use e-mail and the interent from across the country...closest to insanity I've every been)
    Anyway, try this article http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q197/0/64.ASP It should have what you need.

Cowboy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

there are actually almost 40 different KBs mentioning winmail.dat and i'm pretty sure at least one mentions IMO mode too. (They are found more easily on the Technet cd but i don't have it handy to see exactly how many specify IMO.)

in any event, very often the problem and solution apply to both CW and IMO modes even if not specifed. This applies as well to different versions of most of software. There will be a few times when it's strickly limited to the version mentioned, but that is somewhat rare. Bottom line: if the KB sounds reasonable and doesn't seem like it will cause irreparable damage, try the fix.

RE: your mention of never experiencing it at work. that's because all exchange clients can handle RTF and many admin set exchange server to not send RTF to internet addresses. the message gets converted to plain text before it leaves the server. also, it's only a problem with attachments because they get lost in the winmail.dat.

dhobbs

Mary - Thanks very much for your very full and clear explanation of how mail systems deal with rtf.

At last I feel I understand what winmail.dat is about and why I have only just started experiencing the problem now. Your clarification of this is very much appreciated.

Dave

dhobbs

Yes, this is the knowledge base article I also had tracked down. My point though was that it claims to apply only to the Corporate Workgroup setting of Outlook, whereas I have the Internet-only setting so in theory shouldn't be experiencing winmail.dat. Ironically, I never experienced any winmail.dat problems when I had the Corporate Workgroup setup with my previous employer's mail system (MS Exchange).

Anyway, it looks like it has to be one of the workarounds suggested in the KB article and by Mary J. Thanks to you both.

Dave

Lounger
    Thanks

We've got you beat in the teaching department by 17 years. We routinely help my husband's 87 year old aunt (who wants to do email and surf the web, of course) from 2500 miles away. She is in NY and we are in Las Vegas, Nevada. BTW, she only has one phone line.

I can honestly say that I know the true meaning of the word insanity!