4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conver 97 to XP (Access XP)

I have a copy of database in XP format. After about the 4th try it was able to convert it from 97 format to XP format. I am now testing the database and while entering data it as hung up 3 different times. These were not at the same location or function.

Now I am testing calling the reports as the Users (Accounts Services) would. So for the reports are not coming up in Letter/Landscape as they were designed. The report is coming up as Letter/Portrait and aborts when I try to print the reports. The system will ask if I want to create a report for Microsoft and then aborts the database and creates a backup. The Master database is now reported as corrupted and even the backup database maybe corrupted.

Is there a correct way to convert from 97 to XP? Once converted why does it hang and abort?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Conver 97 to XP (Access XP)

It sounds as though you may have some legacy Access Basic in the 97 version for one thing. For this kind of thing, you really want to import everything into a new database, and then go through the code with some care. Otherwise, we've seem converted things do all sorts of weird stuff. The printer settings are quite frequently a problem - you should probably reset all of them in the design mode to start with. You also want to be sure that you have a printer defined on the machine running XP. Hope this helps get you rolling again.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will last night I created a new database in XP from scratch. I am still working on the forms but it hasn't crashed yet. For my next problem, I am creating the reports from scratch. I select Reports and then New Design. I keep getting this error now. "There was a problem retreiving printer information for this object. THe object may have been sent to a printer that is unavilable."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you sure you have a printer installed that Access can use when you try to design a new report? If you don't it gets pretty cranky. If not, do you have a default printer selected?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have a HP 5000 configured in my windows. I went into Excel and Word and printed documents in both portraid and landscape. These are working fine. I went to a different PC and called up my Access and I was able to design threee new reports.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This seems more than a mite strange. Access will usually complain if you try to import a report into a database on a different PC that also has a different printer defined, but it doesn't usually give trouble if you a re designing a new report from scratch. Do the three new reports you designed on a different PC work OK on the one you were trying to use?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just went to a different computer that has Office XP loaded and created a new report on it. We are able to create and save the report. THen I had several other people look for the report and they can view and print them.

Guess I will see if I can have my comptuer reformated and reload Office XP on it.