New Lounger
    Thanks

Captions Buttons Garbled in Windows 2000

I had a power outtage on my my machine which is in Win2K. It is a souped up machine, so I do not think this is anything related to lack of RAM, or 'box power.' I had the machine connected to a 2 year old UPS which just happened to lack enough power to fight a major power surge. My machine went into a blue screen of death at the jolt , and then turned itself completely off (of course before I could read the message). When I tried to reboot it, it would get to a certain place and then power down again. I was able to repair with the 2000 CD to make it operational, but now I have what I believe is termed the caption buttons that all contain the wrong pictures. For example, when you do Start, Programs, all of the right arrows are mice. All of the minimize, close, maximize and scroll buttons are replaced with other icons as are any check boxes. I have tried to do the SFC /SCANOW function and have tried to set the MaxCachedIcons value to 2000 as was found on other MS articles to no avail. I was told that the c:winntShellIconCache file was the culprit, and to try to delete it - to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Captions Buttons Garbled in Windows 2000

Actually, those caption buttons' images are a system font. Try replacing the font Marlett on your PC and see if that gets it for you.

Sounds like you experienced some disk corruption as a result of your BSOD. Make sure that you run a CHKDSK on all partitions, and make it a thorough one while you're at it.
    -Mark