New Lounger
    Thanks

Single Profile, Mult User Names...?

Hi folks. We have many people working from w2k laptops logging into client networks (mostly NT, some novell) using different usernames. When they change usernames, the user profile also changes (of course). This wreaks havoc on all of their settings, as you would expect).

Is there anyway to use only ONE profile for all of the usernames that they use? If it requires a 3rd party app, we'd be more than interested. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Single Profile, Mult User Names...?

All version of NT through Windows XP allow you to specify the path to the user profile. In Win2000, it's under Start - Settings - Users and Passwords. Go to the Advanced tab, and when you double-click on the visible user names, you will be presented with a new dialog, which has a tab for Profile. There you can specify the path to the users' home directories and profiles.

I believe you can also configure a template, or GPO, to do the same thing.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Single Profile, Mult User Names...?

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Question fer ya - from your description, your suggesting to use roaming profiles, right? I thought roaming profiles only worked when I'm moving around on the same network... I'm moving around between different, not-connected networks. Will roaming profiles still work, just by pointing them to my local machine and store the profiles there? (I've tried that and didn't succeed) If so, what path would I enter in the Profile path field? I tried <local machine name>profilesusername, but when I rebooted, w2k pro came back and said it couldn't find/ create it....

Thanks again for your help!