3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Determine Where File Is Open

In reference to this post.

We have an Excel workbook on our server which has a limited number of users who can access it. One person makes changes/entries to this file. Periodically when attempting to gain access to this workbook the user is greeted with the workbook is already open ~ notify when closed message.

The users who have rights to the workbook are spread out over three different locations. This makes it a pain in the .... to track down who has the file open.
    If we could identify the machine that has this file open (via an API call?) it would shorten the time spent in an attempt to find the culprit.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Brent

Thanks

Re: Determine Where File Is Open

Office programs store a temp file with the name of the user. Normally this file is stored in the same folder as the file opened, but rather frequently something goes wrong, particularly when the user does a SaveAs. In those cases, you get a message similar to "unknown user" has the file open.

What about the dialog where you go to close files that are in use. Is that in Server Manager (NT4 name; I haven't memorized all the new names)? I thought that listed the username. Or maybe it lists the computername.

If this only affects one workbook, and you don't find an API solution, you could add some code to the workbook to update a log file when the workbook is opened and closed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Determine Where File Is Open

This is why I love this place (Woody's). There is so much knowledge here and it is shared selflessly. Each of your suggestions gives me a direction to explore. That is a great idea to create a log file. I had thought of linking the workbook to an identical copy and then protecting the destination workbook to prevent any changes made that would overwrite any links.

Sometimes I can't see the forest cause all those dang trees get in the way.

Thanks for your help.

Brent