New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 SR1 won't open (2000/SR1)

Running Office 2000 SR1 on Windows 98 client. Someone attempted to install BitWare fax software on my PC but install bombed. Since then, I have been unable to open Outlook. Briefly get Outlook logo and then it just hangs from that point on. Don't receive any error message and have to "end task".

Initially I removed Outlook 2000 and then reinstalled but to no avail. Next I completely removed the Office 2000 suit, reinstalled it but to no avail. I tried removing all Outlook profiles, creating a new one and pointing to a brand new PST file (using Internet Mail). Nothing has worked. Outside of reformatting my hard drive and reloading everything, don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 SR1 won't open (2000/SR1)

first, find extend.dat and delete it. then find all copies of mapi32.dll and delete them. then find fixmapi.exe and run it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK, i tried that but still no go. After deleting those files and running the fixmapi.dll, Outlook still hangs on opening it.

I just came across some switches that can be used when opening Outlook. If I use the "/safe" switch, it opens and I can get to my old mail. If I turn off any of the items individually (i.e. preview pane, exts, etc), I'm back to where Outlook won't open.

Using the /safe switch, it appears I can send email out but new mail won't come in. I'm assuming this is because of the switch. I can use Outlook Express without any problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Typo. . . . meant ran fixmapi.exe (not fixmapi.dll).