New Lounger
    Thanks

Make table (access 97)

I have a large table, around 155000 records, using a make table query, I'm trying to make some smaller tables with custom information using expressions, ie.. filling the field with required data, after I put in the criteria and run the query it ask for the parameters for the different expressions but at the end it just says, "database has reached maximum size" and nothing happens, what am I doing wrong, also I only want the fields that I selected and or expressions to appear in the new table, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Make table (access 97)

I tried searching for that error at Microsoft and it didn't find anything. If that isn't the exact wording, it might help to check at MS for the exact wording.

Question 2: What is your query?

New Lounger
    Thanks

those were the exact words, it didn't give an error number either, the query is a make table query where I want a couple of fields from the table that meet a specific criteria, and I want to add a couple of fields with data that I supplied, so I put in my own field name which creates an expression then when I run the query it asks for the parameters for the expression and I put in the value I want to appear in the field, thanks for the help

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Can you zip the DB and post it.
    I am sure someone will find a solution, hopefully.
    Pat

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Access 97 has a maximum .mdb file size of 500MB if I remember correctly. So the error message is saying you've reached that limit. First try to compact and repair your database and see how much smaller it gets. If it's never been compacted it should shrink a great deal. That may allow you to run your make table queries. On the other hand you might want to look at creating the new tables in another database. You can do that by specifying the database path and name in the properties for the make table query. I think one of these steps should solve your problem.
    Wendell

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97's file size can go to 1Gb.
    Wendell is spot on re compacting. I have had users that lets their database grow to such an extent, one reduced in size from 550Mb to 2Mb.