New Lounger
    Thanks

Win NT and MS Fax

We have a new machine with Windows NT Workstation 4 on it, and would like to be able to fax purchase orders to our vendors. We expected to find MS Fax either installed or available on the CD, based on experience with Win 98 and XP, but can't find it anywhere. MS has references to Win NT with MS Fax installed, but no info I could find on how to get it. Does any one have a clue for me?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win NT and MS Fax

Microsoft Fax is not included in Windows NT basic installation. You can install it from WIndows 98 or 95 installation CD (on Win98 CD in toolsoldwin95messageus folder).

However, I would recommend to purchase Symantec WinFax Pro. It is highly reliable and easy to use and manage product.

Thanks

Re: Win NT and MS Fax

I agree Winfax is feature filled, but we found it a tremendous memory hog. Running the network version became too much hard work - shutting down and/or rebooting the server without every network user logging off their Winfax client first spelt disaster.

We run a smtp-based fax server now - printing to the server can be down either by using the 'fax printer' or by email. Automated faxing (using macros) from Word and Excel are quite simple - although probably not quite as straightforward initially as Winfax was. Incoming faxes are copied to relevant users by email too. There is practically no client overhead at all.

However, if this is a standalone fax solution that is required, Winfax is probably quite hard to beat.